Why Should You Buy a Photo Printer?
In a world that is obsessed with the idea of being able to share what one shoots in real-time and on the move, the whole concept of buying a photo printer doesn’t seem quite right.
But then, more often than not you get an insatiable urge to print and hand over something in color to your friend or to your loved one or even if it is just for a school project. The reasons are diverse.
Why Prints Still Make Sense
That wall over the fireplace looks empty. A photograph of your loved one would be perfect over there. A few framed photos of the last fishing trip on your work desk would immediately refresh your mind when you are stressed out.
Best Home Use Photo Printers
The reasons can go on. Long story short, you need a photo printer for your home. As you may have guessed it by now, here we are going to take a look at the best home use photo printers.
- 8 Dye based inks for amazing gradients and color, 3 of which are dedicated grayscale inks for beautiful black & white prints
- The Optimum Image Generating System reproduces colors as you intend them by logically selecting the optimum ink combination and placement
- Compatible with Individual CLI-42 Ink Tanks (Black, Gray, Light Gray, Cyan, Photo Cyan, Magenta, Photo Magenta, Yellow). Save Even More On Value Packs. Only Replace The Inks That Run Out!
- 4800 x 2400 dpi with FINE technology for incredible detail.Print your Vision up to 13" x 19": Print professional quality photos on various media up to 13" x 19"
- weight : 43.2 in bullet point
What if you need a slightly larger print? Of course, you can’t use the puny sized prints out of the Epson PictureMate PM-400 if you needed an 8.5 x 11″ print for a school project.
This is where the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 comes into the equation. The largest size that it can print is 13″ x 19″.
The resolution of the printer is 4800 x 2400 DPI. Need a much smaller A4 sheet or even a legal page to be printed with a collage of your best pictures? All you need is 51 seconds.
Best Printer for Canon Camera Owners
Being a Canon product has its advantages; that is if you own a Canon camera. The printer is compatible with PictBridge as well as Apple’s AirPrint technologies.
Remember, the best home use photo printers are not the ones that can print big or print fast. It is the ones that give the best value for money. With an 8-tank ink system, you have your separate CMYBK inks.
As a matter of fact, there are 3 Black ink tanks. Each of them is replaceable individually. That reduces wastage as you no longer have to throw away a combo CMYBK tank just because one of the ink is exhausted.
A Heavy Printer
There is, however, a downside. It is the weight of the printer. The Canon PIXMA PRO-100 is not the lightest of printers around. Nor is it the most demure. It measures 27.2” x 8.5” x 15.2” and weighs 19.60 kilos.
Not the ideal printer that you would want to lug from one corner of your home office to the other. But, having said that print quality is exceptional.
Comparison Table: Best Home Use Photo Printers
|Printer||DPI||Print Size||Print Speed||Star Rating||Reviews||Price|
|Canon PIXMA PRO-100||4,800 x 2,400 dpi||13" x 19"||77 seconds (4" x 6")||896 Reviews||$374.95|
|Canon PIXMA iP872||9,600 x 2,400 dpi||13" x 19"||36 seconds (4" x 6")||345 Reviews||$181.96|
|Epson Artisan 1430||5,760 x 1,440 dpi||13" x 44"||46 seconds (4" x 6")||641 Reviews||$359.99|
|Epson PictureMate PM-400||5,760 x 1,440 dpi||5" x 7"||36 seconds (4" x 6")||117 Reviews||$199.99|
|Epson SureColor P600||5,760 x 1,440 dpi||13" x 19"||35 seconds (4" x 6")||63 Reviews||$719.42|
|Canon PIXMA PRO-10||4,800 x 2,400 dpi||13" x 19"||3 min. 35 sec. (8" x 10")||166 Reviews||$395.40|
|Canon PIXMA iP110||9,600 x 2,400 dpi||8.5" x 14"||50 seconds (4" x 6")||4.3 Stars||43 Reviews||$149.99|
|HP ENVY Photo 7155||4,800 x 1,200 dpi||8.5" x 11.7"||6.7 seconds (8.5" x 11.7")||91 Reviews||from $89.99|
|Canon SELPHY CP1300||300 x 300 dpi||4 x 6"||47 seconds (4" x 6")||1 Reviews||$172.99|
Related Post: The Best Mobile Photo Printers
- AirPrint(TM): Print wirelessly and effortlessly from your compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch- no drivers needed!
- Easily print wirelessly from your Android, iPhone or tablet via Canon PRINT app and Google Cloud Print.
- Compatible with Individual/Combo CLI-251 XL Ink Tanks (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Grey, Black) & PGI-250 XL Pigment Black Ink Tanks. Only Replace The Inks That Run Out!
- OS Compatibility:Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 32-bit Mac OS X v10.6.8 - v10.914. Mobile Operating Systems: iOS, Android, Windows RT. Standard Interfaces:Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11b/g/n)2, Hi-Speed USB, PictBridge(Wireless LAN)
- With a 6-color ink system, the results are photo quality. With Google Cloud Print, you can print from wherever you are, from applications you use every day. You can even share your home and work printers with anyone you choose
Format & Speed
Notwithstanding, the Canon PIXMA iP8720 gives you a reasonably large sized print, for a home use photo printer, of 13 x 19″.
Matching the speed of any other fast home photo printer, the Canon PIXMA iP8720 can print a 4 x 6″ full-color photo in 36 seconds flat. Not only that this is a printer, but you can also use to print directly on CDs, DVDs, and Blue-Ray discs.
Allowing you the creative freedom to design and create and print your customized disc covers at home using your favorite images.
It has all the goodies you need to print high-quality images without the need to plug in a computer. Only switch on the wireless function and print from anywhere in your home with any wireless device capable of sending a print command.
The printer uses a six-color palette that uses individual color tanks including one for gray. The maximum resolution of the printer is good enough for producing incredibly detailed prints.
Wight & Size
Lighter than most of the other printers we have discussed here, the Canon PIXMA iP8720 weighs only 8.4 kilos. It measures 23.3” x 13.1” x 6.3”.
- Borderless, Hi-Def photos up to 13 inch x 19 inch
- Wireless printing with Wi-Fi
- 6-color Claria ink
- CD/DVD printing; Refer user manual under technical specification
- Print and share from your smartphone, iPhone, tablet and other mobile devices - no computer necessary
At a maximum resolution of 5760 x 1440 dots per inch, the Epson Artisan 1430 gives you excellent print quality. You can print as large as 13 x 19” (borderless) and the maximum print size is 13 x 44”. That will come in handy when printing contact sheets for client approval and those sort of things.
Printing CDs & DVDs
Besides, you can also print CD and DVD covers directly. Speed isn’t always a factor especially when it comes to printing at home. So the time of 53 seconds for a 4 x 6” borderless print isn’t even relevant.
Printing Speed & Color Tanks
Print quality is important because these images will last a lifetime and beyond. Furthermore, the speed of the Epson Artisan 1430 is 2.8 ppm.
The Epson Artisan 1430 has it. The other thing that I like are the single six color tanks. That means no color wastage.
- Beautiful borderless photos - easily print high-quality 4"x6" & 5"x7" photos
- Ultra compact design - lightweight, portable printer saves space
- Total wireless solution - print from iPad, iPhone, tablets and smartphones
- Photo Print Speed: 4" x 6" borderless photo in as fast as 36 sec (Default Mode: Color photo in Default Mode on Premium Photo Paper Glossy measured from start of paper feed. Actual print times will vary based on system configuration, software, and page complexity)
- PictureMate Print Pack Inkjet Cartridge (T5570) and Photo Paper (S041464) are not compatible with this printer.
But they would both agree there is no denying the sudden urge to print from time to time. It is the reason the Epson PictureMate PM-400 exists. It is rightly tagged the Personal Photo Lab.
Wi-Fi, Size & Resolution
Need a 4 x 6” print in a jiffy? Just switch on the printer, turn on your Wi-Fi and print from your camera. Provided that is, your camera has Wi-Fi. The Epson PictureMate PM-400 accepts both plain papers as well as glossy photo paper. It can print a 4 x 6″ borderless photos on a glossy print paper in 36 seconds flat.
Related Post: Best Inkjet Photo Paper
The maximum resolution the printer is capable of printing is 5760 x 1440 DPI. That should be enough for a sharp, detailed print of your digital picture. Store it properly, and your print will last for 200 years! The largest photo size it can print is 5” x 7”.
Single Color Tank
The one thing that I don’t like is the single color tank (CMY) that contains Cyan, Magenta and Yellow colors (the other one being a single Black tank). This leads to a lot of color wastage when you have to replace the entire tank just because one of the colors is exhausted. With a freshly loaded cartridge, however, you should be able to print about 100 4 x 6” prints.
Small in Size
The best thing about the Epson PictureMate PM-400 is that it does not take up a lot of space. It’s small in dimension, measuring just 9.8 x 6.9 x 3.3” when not in use.
Overall weight is just 1.8 kilos. Among the other features, it has a small 2.7” LCD screen and a very useful auto photo correction feature. Surely a candidate to top the list of the best home use photo printers.
Related Post: Best Online Photo Printing Servies
- Advanced media handling up to 13" wide - create panoramas over 10 feet long
- Unprecedented black density - Epson UltraChrome HD Ink for the richest blacks
- More productivity with high-capacity cartridges - nine 25.9 ml ink cartridges
It has Ultrachrome HD pigment based inks compared to the standard dye-based inks that most entry level printers use. Furthermore, the quality and longevity of the prints are much better because of this.
Individual color ink tanks ensure that less color is wasted. This is the reason the Epson SureColor P600 has nine color tanks with four different tones of black. This ensures a fantastic tonal range for your black prints.
Plugging an USB cable is going out of fashion these days. And the presence of wireless has become as mandatory as the presence of video modes on DSLRs. The Epson SureColor P600 comes with built-in wireless connectivity. It is compatible with Epson iPrint, Apple AirPrint as well as Google Cloud Print.
To round up the other features of the printer, it has a 3.5″ tilting color LCD screen with touchscreen functionality, a 120 sheet paper tray and a 13″ roll holder.
Again, this is not the lightest printer around. This one weighs 15.9 kilos and has a dimension of 24.2 x 32 x 16.7”. But if you don’t mind the weight the Epson SureColor P600 Inkjet Printer is one of the best home use photo printers around.
Related Post: Best Photo Sharing Websites
- The PIXMA PRO-10 shares technology with the rest of the PIXMA PRO line utilizing the Optimum Image Generating System to ensure what you envision is exactly what you get
- The combination of Pigment based inks and Chroma Optimizer adds uniform glossiness, a wide color gamut and dense blacks for the satisfaction of the professional user
- The Optimum Image Generating System reproduces colors as you intend them by logically selecting the optimum ink combination and placement
- Compatible with Individual PGI-72 Ink Tanks (Matte Black, Photo Black, Gray, Cyan, Photo Cyan, Magenta, Photo Magenta, Yellow, Red, Chroma Optimizer). Save Even More On Value Packs. Only Replace The Inks That Run Out!
- Three dedicated monochrome inks for amazing black & white prints
Printer Resolution & Format
It takes the Canon PIXMA PRO-10 3 minutes and 35 seconds to churn out an 8 x 10″ print at a resolution of 4800 x 2400 DPI. It may not be the fastest printer around. Then again you don’t quite need a Usain Bolt to print a 4 x 6” photo occasionally. The largest you can print, however, is a 13 x 19″.
I have always preferred the separate ink tank arrangement because it is less of wastage that way. There are a total of 10 ink tanks in the Canon PIXMA PRO-10, 3 of which are monochrome.
Printer Connectivity: Wi-Fi
Connectivity is a big issue these days in home use photo printers. No one wants to stay connected with their printer any longer. There’s no emotional attachment to that sort of bonding anymore. The Canon PIXMA PRO-10 has built-in Wi-Fi, thankfully. Which means you can be away watering the plants while you print your favorite photos from your smartphone.
PictBridge and AirPrint are also supported. Some cheer for Canon camera users as well as Apple users.
Additional Printer Features
Just like the Canon PIXMA iP8720 we discussed before, the Canon PIXMA PRO-10 also can print CD, DVD and Blue-Ray jackets with ease. One more reason to print your favorite vacation photos.
Price: $155 on B&H Photo Video.
It is the sheer flexibility combined with the powerful features that make the Canon PIXMA iP110 one of the best home use photo printers around. Don’t get fooled by its small size.
Photo Printer Resolution & Format
The PIXMA iP110 is a great photo printer. With a maximum resolution of 9,600 x 2,400 DPI, this Canon can produce a lot of detail.
Large printing may not always be necessary. You may not always want to print at 8.5″ x 23″ which is what the largest size capable by the Canon PIXMA iP110. Anyways, the printer is capable of printing high-quality borderless prints at that width.
A 4″ x 6″ print is more like wat you would print, and the printer will churn it out in 53 seconds. Not the fastest but then we are not being chased by a tiger either.
As is the reality of the day, wireless printing has become a mandatory requirement. You can’t list something like the best home use photo printers if it can’t take print commands without the umbilical cord attached.
Thankfully, the Canon PIXMA iP110 with its wireless functionality and PictBridge and mobile printing technologies has everything you need.
The only thing that I don’t like about the printer is that it has a twin cartridge system – CMY and Black. This would lead to some wastage of colors depending on the type of printing you do.
This Canon printer is a budget range printer (retailing at $155) and geared more towards the budget constraint printing, not just photo printing alone.
Related Post: The Best Epson Photo Scanners
A maximum image resolution printing capability of 4800 x 1200 DPI ensures that the HP ENVY is a great addition to your home photography business. There are instances when you need to carry some sort of printed portfolio and or send out an initial first print to your clients before running the final print (or outsource the final run to an external printing business). The HP ENVY Photo 7155 does a great job of making these initial prints. The maximum document size you can print is 8.5 x 14″.
- NEW FROM HP: STUNNING PHOTOS FOR LESS THAN 5 CENTS - Features of this color photo printer include print, scan, copy, borderless and wireless printing, SD card slot, plus photo prints for less than 5 cents with HP Instant Ink (subscription required)
- THE POWER OF YOUR PRINTER IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND - Mobile printing from your device such as iPhone with AirPrint, or print without a network using Wireless Direct printing
- WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY YOU CAN COUNT ON - Reliable wireless connectivity and lightning-fast setup with dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Smart
- OUR MOST POWERFUL PRINTING APP EVER - The HP Smart app allows you to easily set up this wireless printer, scan documents with your camera, and print from social media or the cloud, such as iCloud, Google Drive, and Dropbox
- SAVE UP TO 50% ON INK WITH HP INSTANT INK - Ink ordered by your printer and delivered to your door before you run out (subscription required); use Original HP 64 ink cartridges for great results print after print
For a smaller bulk and price, you can buy the Canon SELPHY CP1300. This is a compact photo printer that comes with the dye sublimation printing technology and can print at a maximum resolution of 300 DPI. Smaller than the DNP DS620A that we just finished reading about, and at a much less price, the Canon SELPHY CP1300 does ‘almost’ everything that the DNP does.
- The largest printing size ranges from 2.1 x 2.1″ to 4 x 6″.
- It can print a 4 x 6″ photo in 47 seconds flat.
- Compatible with both Apple AirPrint and wireless PictBridge as well as the Canon PRINT Mobile app.
- The printer comes with a 3.2″ tilting screen that allows you to review an image before running a print job.
Related Post: Best Advanced (Professional) Photo Printers
10 Photography Beginner Mistakes & How to Avoid Them