Cheaper Alternatives to the GoPro
5 Cameras Like GoPro but Cheaper
In case you don’t want to spent close to $500 for the fancy GoPro Camera and are looking for an alternatives, you have come to the right place. We have shortlisted the best action cameras like GoPro, but cheaper. 🙂
✔ 5 Low Cost GoPro Alternatives
- YI 4K Action Camera at $104.67
- Olympus Tough TG-5 at $449.00
- FITFORT Action Camera 4K at Out of stock (Our Runner Up)
- Maifang Action Sports Camera at Out of stock
- Akaso EK7000 at $69.99 (Our Pick: Best Low Cost Alternative GoPro Camera)
Cheaper GoPro Alternatives
Related Post: Review of the SJCam SJ7 Star Action Camera
A Brief History of POV Cameras
The concept of action cameras has long been around, even before GoPro came about. POV action cameras have been around many years ago, even before someone attached a GoPro to a helmet and hopped on a mountain bike or leaped off a cliff. Albeit, they have all been contraptions in various forms and stages of perfection.
What is a POV Camera?
A POV Camera is a Point Of View Camera, a digital camera designed to capture the scene in front of a person. POV action cameras are normally small and can easily be attached to your helmet or glasses and can record your outdoor sports adventures.
Undoubtedly, GoPro isn’t the pioneer action camera. They can, however, be credited for making action cameras available to almost everybody. Thanks to them a bunch of other cameras like GoPro has come along.
Action cameras had come a long way since the days when legendary F1 driver Jackie Stewart wore a Nikon contraption. It had the camera attached to his helmet on one side and what appeared to be a large battery pack counterbalancing the camera on the other side. Though I should add that he never wore the camera in an actual race. That was before the evolution of the GoPro systems.
GoPro Makes Action Cameras Mainstream
Nick Woodman and the GoPro system changed everything. GoPro took over the action camera market with the first ever commercially produced camera, the GoPro Hero 35mm. It was a film camera. It did not shoot videos. But it had something that was revolutionary at the time. An accompanying mount that enabled him to wear the camera on his wrist while surfing in open waters.
As we all know, GoPro systems have come a long way. They have also inspired countless other manufacturers to follow in their footsteps to produce competitive products. This article is a listing of those cameras like GoPro; but only cheaper.
Related Post: GoPro Karma (New Drone)
Detailed Review: 5 Cameras Like GoPro But Cheaper
- Superb Image Quality - Records 4K/30fps (100mbps), 2.7k/60fps, 1080p/120fps, 720p/240fps video, and 12MP raw image with...
- Long Battery Life - High capacity rechargeable lithium-ion battery records up to 120mins of 4K/30fps video with a single...
- Intuitive Touchscreen UI - Built-in 2.2" high responsive LCD touchscreen with 640 X 360 high resolution for easy...
- Instant Sharing -- Built-in Bluetooth and high speed 5GHz/2.4GHz Wi-Fi support for wireless remote control and the YI...
- Advanced Features - Always update to the latest firmware (1.8.25) to enjoy the extra features. Flexible settings of...
The YI is a 4K Action Camera powered by an Ambarella A9SE75 Chip and a Sony IMX377 image sensor.
The built-in lens on the camera shoots at a wide open f/2 aperture. It is a 7-layer design with an angle of view of 155˚.
The YI is capable of shooting 12-megapixel stills. Thanks to the Sony IMX377 sensor, the quality of the images are surprisingly good even in low light conditions.
The YI features an electronic image stabilization system that ensures stable stills and videos. It is powered by a 3-axis gyroscope and a 3-axis accelerometer that can detect the exact position of the camera and when it changes. However, the feature is optically inferior in performance compared to something like the Tough TG-5 that we discussed below.
The YI 4K rivals the GoPro Hero regarding video shooting. It is capable of shooting 4K (UHD) videos at a frame rate of 30 fps. At a scaled down rate of full HD, you can shoot at 120 fps. Additionally, you can cue up 4K time-lapses as well as shoot low motion footages of scenes and keep the camera in loop recording for as long as the memory card supports. A special feature on the YI is its ability to shoot stills while recording videos.
The back of the camera is dominated by a 2.19″ touchscreen LCD monitor. Touchscreen simplifies a lot of the camera’s controls allowing you to tap your way to photographic nirvana.
The use of Gorilla Glass Retina ensures some amount of protection against scratches and knocks. And if you missed it the LCD screen is larger than the one on the GoPro.
The higher resolution (330 PPI) gives a bright display of the images shot. Additionally, the large 160˚ viewing angle ensures everyone in a group can see what’s being captured at the same time.
The YI loses out to the GoPro in terms of weather sealing. It does not have any. This is a serious drawback when compared to the GoPro that it competes with.
There is a built-in cooling system that prevents the camera from getting overheated when constantly shooting videos. The YI has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Wireless ensures remote control of the camera using a compatible smartphone/tablets. The bundled battery lasts for up to two hours of shooting. On standby mode, it would last for 8 hours.
The Yi camera app, which you can download for free will allow you to not only shoot and edit the videos but also share them with the entire world in an instant.
Related Post: DJI Spark (The Drone Everyone Can Fly)
- New 12MP Hi-Speed Image Sensor for improved low light performance and noise reduction
- Underwater: compensation: -2 EV to +2 EV (in 1/3 EV steps). Bright F2.0 high-speed Lens. Video Recording format :...
- Dual Quad Core TruePic VIII Image Processor. 3.0 inches 460k-Dot LCD Monitor. Focus Range Normal: 3.94 inches (10 cm)...
- Field sensor system with GPS, Manometer, Compass, and temperature sensors
- Waterproof to 50 feet, F, Dustproof, Crushproof to 220 lbf, Shockproof from 7 feet, Freezeproof to 14 degrees, Anti-Fog...
The TG-5 is just about less than a fully loaded GoPro with all its accessories.
The Olympus Tough TG-5 is built around a 12 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor and TruePic VIII image processing engine. BSI sensors have their wiring at the back of the sensor. This ensures that the pixels on the sensor have more area to gather light compared to traditional sensors. BSI sensors are known for their cleaner image files even in low light situations.
The native ISO range of the Tough TG-5 is 100 – 12800. As already explained, BSI sensors have cleaner low light performance. Thus, the native ISO range can be utilized to a large extent when shooting in low light situations.
The built-in lens on the Tough TG-5 is capable of 4x optical zoom. That is 4.5mm – 18mm in the real world sense. In 35mm parlance that is the equivalent of a 25 – 100mm. The lens has a maximum aperture of f/2 when shooting at wide angle and f/4.9 when shooting in tele mode.
Focusing range of the lens is 3.94″ to infinity when shooting in normal mode and 0.39″ to infinity when shooting in macro mode.
Related Post: Best Waterproof Action Cameras
The 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor with a maximum resolution of 12 megapixels can produce large fine JPEGs and 12-bit RAW files of the size 4000 x 3000 pixels.
The Tough TG-5 is capable of shooting at a relatively fast continuous shooting speed of 20 fps. Being an action camera, you would want the system to be able to capture as many shots as possible.
Built-in image stabilization is the sensor shift type. Image stabilization is necessary when shooting in telephoto focal length and especially when shooting in low light conditions.
The Tough TG-5 comes with 4K video capabilities at a decent 30 fps maximum frame rate. If you switch to full HD video shooting, you would be able to shoot at an incredible 120 fps. This is just perfect for shooting action videos and then playing them back in super slow-mo. A built-in mic records a stereo quality sound. The maximum clip length can be 29 mins.
A 3″ LCD screen with a resolution of 460,000 pixels is what you get at the back of the camera. The screen covers 100% of the frame.
Weather sealing is one of the major features of action/sports cameras. The Tough TG-5 is no different in that department. It is waterproof up to a depth of 50′ (15m). It is freeze-proof up to a temperature of 14 ˚ F (-10 ˚ C). If you happen to drop it from a height of 7′ the camera will likely survive as it is rated shockproof for any fall from that height. Additionally, the camera can withstand the pressure of up to 220 lbf.
Additionally, dustproof-rating of IP6X ensures that the camera’s delicate internal components are safeguarded against dirt and dust. Further features built into the camera includes special double-pane glass on the lens that ensures that it will not be affected due to fog and condensation in certain conditions.
Apart from its incredible weather sealing, this sturdy camera comes with what Olympus says Field Sensor System. That includes a GPS module, a compass, a temperature sensor and a manometer. All these information is captured along with the image data which is then embedded into the file.
The camera comes with built-in wireless function as well. This ensures that you can transfer images and videos as well as control the camera remotely using your smartphone.
- 【100% 4K HD Action Camera】: Provides 4K/25FPS, 2.7K/30FPS, 1080P/60FPS, 1080P/30FPS and 720P/120FPS Video...
- 【Sufficient Power Supply】: Comes With 2 Rechargeable 1050mAh Battery(one in the camera, one in the box) Enables...
- 【Wireless Remote Control】: Features a 2.4G Wireless Remote Control. Put the Remote Control On Your Wrist and...
- 【WiFi & APP Control】: Compatible With IOS Devices and Android Devices. Scan the QR Code On The Manual And Download...
- 【100 Feet Waterproof】: IP68 Certified Rugged Waterproof Housing Supports Diving Detph Up To 30m(100ft). All Buttons...
Related Post: Best Cameras for Diving under $500
The FITFORT Action Camera is built around a 12-megapixel imaging sensor.
The built-in lens has an angle of view of 170˚.
The FITFORT action camera is capable of shooting 12-megapixel stills.
The camera can shoot 4K videos at a frame rate of 25 fps. But then there are other options as well. You can shoot at a frame rate of 2.7K at a frame rate of 30 fps, full HD at 60 fps and 720p HD at a frame rate of 120 fps.
Related Post: Ricoh Theta S Review (Make Amazing 360 Degree Videos)
The FITFORT features some interesting weather sealing properties. It is waterproof up to a depth of 100′. Certified to IP68 standards. The case is designed in a way so that even at that depth you can access and operate all of the buttons on the camera.
The FITFORT comes with two rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. You can use one in the camera and keep one in hand full charged and waiting to be replaced. Each of the batteries has enough power to shoot for 90 mins continuously. An additional power saving feature on the camera is a built-in screen saver. You can set it to 1, 3 or 5 mins delay to save power.
Wireless is built-in. This serves the dual purpose of backing up the camera as well as get a remote control to shoot images from a distance. The remote control works from a maximum distance of 10m and can be worn on the wrist, giving you the option to shoot from a distance.
The camera itself is light enough to be worn on a helmet allowing you to shoot POV clips of all your active adventures.
The compatible app works with both Android and iOS platforms. To download, just scan the QR code to install the ‘Ez iCam’ app. The app works as a standard camera control, editing and sharing platform.
- 2.4G Remote control. Effective distance max to 20M. Waterproof design, level to prevent rain, can't used be dive. This...
- 4K Ultra HD. Four filming options. Including 1080p60fps/1080p 30fps/4K25fps and 2.7K30fps. This provides you with...
- Built-in WiFi and HDMI connectivity. Download App(EZ iCam, Password 1234567890 ) to setting, view, playback and share...
- Free gift-camera bag and accessories kit: Cam bag offers generous space to not only protect your action camera, but also...
- Waterproof 4k cam with Longer battery life. Water resistance up to 100 feet. With 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries,...
The Maifang is a Sports Action camera that comes with waterproof features.
The built-in lens on the Maifang has an angle of view of 170˚. It is a six glass lens element with a minimum focusing distance of 12 cm.
The camera is capable shooting at full HD at 60 fps. Additionally, you can also shoot at 4K at 25 fps and a slightly scaled down 2.7K at 30 fps.
The camera comes with a 2.4G Remote control. This remote ensures that the camera is capable of being operated from a distance.
Built-in Wi-Fi and other Features
The camera has a built in Wi-Fi connection. You can control the camera via the Ez iCam app. The app downloads your images, saves them to your cloud storage, and even shares them on social media.
At the back of the camera is a 2″ LTPS LCD screen with a resolution of 320 x 240 pixels.
The Maifang comes with an IP68 compliant waterproof case. This ensures that the camera can be used underwater as well as in dusty environments without issues.
Related Post: ODRVM 4K Review
- EK7000 2017 Version -- Capture your moment in 4K ultra HD with AKASO action cam. Featuring 4K/2.7K video recording, and...
- Remote control with the 2.4G wireless remote. When you are cycling, gliding, zip-lining or skateboarding, shooting your...
- Charger and 2x 1050 mAh rechargeable batteries. The camera comes with a charger as well as 2 batteries, each of which...
- 2 inch LCD Display. Real time review on the 2 inch LCD screen is super terrific. Take pictures of your desired one and...
- Waterproof camera with WiFi. Changing your mobile device to a remote is also available. Download App iSmart DV on your...
The Akaso EK7000 4K Action Camera is one of the best alternatives for the GoPro.
Let’s take a look at the features that it comes with:
The EK7000 captures 4K videos at a smooth 25 fps. That should give you enough frames for smooth playback on a large 4K TV.
The EK7000 can also capture 12-megapixel stills.
The camera comes with a 2.4G wireless remote. With the remote, you can operate most of the camera’s features without having to touch the camera physically.
Alternatively, you can also use your smartphone as a remote. Just download the iSmart DV app on your phone. Pair the device with your phone, and you are ready. With a Wi-Fi range of about 10m, you can control the camera from a reasonable distance, shoot images, save the files and share them with the world on the go.
The EK7000 has a small 2″ LCD monitor. The display is reasonable with limited pixels.
Unlike some of the other POV/sports action cameras available in the market, the EK7000 does have weather sealing. Weathers sealing ensures that you can use the camera under water, in inclement weather as well as in dusty environments.
These features, the very affordable price (currently retailing at $69.99), and the positive ratings from other buyers on Amazon, make the Akaso EK7000 the best pick in the category “action cameras like GoPro but cheaper”.
Related Post: GoPro 5 vs GoPro 4