If there’s one thing that’s constant in the world of computers, it’s change. There’s been a lot of interesting developments since we first published a list of the best computers for video editing.
So, we thought it was about time we update the list. Read on to find the best computer for your all your video editing needs. 💻🎬
The Best Computers For Video Editing In A Nutshell
While choosing the best computer for video editing, we’ve tried keeping the budget to something that is affordable and manageable.
It is sort of a paradox. Video editors need the best out there, but they also need it to be affordable.
Thus, this list will have options both in the higher brackets as well as in the ‘enthusiast’ segment.
Without further ado, here are our top choices for the best computer for video editing:
- Microsoft 28” Surface Studio 2
- Apple 27” iMac Pro Retina 5K (Early 2019)
- Asus Zen AiO PC with 23.8” full HD display
- Dell XPS 7760-7213
- HP Envy 27” A-i-O 27-b210
- Asus ROG Strix GL12 Gaming Computer
- iBuypower Pro Gaming PC Computer
If we’re being honest, the Surface Studio 2 is probably more suitable for photo editing. The computing specs of the system are a bit on the slower side, but it’s still a capable machine.
It has a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 7th gen processor paired with 32 GB of DDR4 RAM. The large 28” monitor that comes with the computer offers a resolution of 4500 x 3000 pixels.
The graphics processor is powered by NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB of GDDR5 internal memory. Plus the computer has 2 TB SSD storage. Not too shabby!
- Our most powerful Surface yet with Intel Core i7 processors, discrete NVIDIA GeForce GPU, and SSD storage
- The strikingly large 28" PixelSense Display is a stunning touchscreen with 13.5 million pixels of true-to-life color
- Tilt the display weightlessly to work at 20 degrees down in Studio Mode or upright in Desktop Mode
- Keep creativity flowing when you draw with the improved Surface Pen and use Surface Dial* for intuitive shortcuts
- Runs intensive professional-grade software like SolidWorks,* Adobe Creative Cloud,* and Autodesk.*
Apple 27” iMac Pro Retina 5K (Early 2019)
Apple’s 27” iMac Pro is an obvious choice for video editors looking for a high resolution (retina) display and the option to display their entire storyline on a large screen. That’s exactly what the 27” 5K Retina Display offers.
There are multiple versions of the Apple 27” iMac Pro. This one is a little towards the affordable range. This one comes powered by a 3 GHz Intel Xeon W 10- core processor. It is paired with a 32 GB DDR4 RAM. Storage is comprised of a 4 TB PCIe SSD.
Graphics is powered by an AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64X GPU. It comes with a 16 GB High Bandwidth Memory VRAM.
This one remains our pick as the best computer for video editing computer in 2019. Still.
RELATED POST: Best Video Tripods 2019
An affordable all-in-one computer that handles video editing, as well as photo editing. That’s the ASUS Zen AiO in a nutshell.
Here’s the deal:
The best computer for video editing is not always about the best specs.
Affordability is a factor too. Sure, this particular machine may not the best computer for video editing money can buy, but it is affordable and it will get the job done.
The Asus Zen AiO is a powerful computer that can handle the rigors of video editing and rendering.
The Asus Zen AiO is powered by an 8th Gen 6-core Intel Core i7 – 8750H processor with a clock speed of 2.2 GHz. It’s paired with 8 GB of DDR4 RAM. Storage is comprised of 128 GB m.2 SSD and a 1 TB HDD.
- Full HD 23.8" display and powerful desktop PC combined into a sleek desktop PC no larger than a monitor
- Powerful 8th-generation Six Core Intel Core i7-8750H processor 2.2 GHz and GeForce GTX 1050 for smooth multimedia playback...
- 10-point multi touch: control your PC effortlessly with touch input. Wireless Keyboard and mouse included.
- Stylish unibody design, precision crafted with a metal-effect finish in glamorous Quartz Grey, Zen-inspired spun-metal...
- 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 802.11ac WiFi, 1x Headphone input, 1x Microphone input, 1x HDMI out, 1x LAN port, 1x USB 2.0, 3x USB 3.1...
This 27” display equipped computer from Dell will meet your expectations in terms of the best computer for video editing on a budget.
The Dell XPS 7760-7213 is powered by a 7th Gen Intel Core i7 processor. It’s paired with a 16GB memory stick. Internal memory is 512 GB of SSD. GPU is a Radeon RX570 graphics processor. Display of the computer is 4K / UHD on a 27” panel.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700 Processor (8M Cache , up to 3.6 GHz)
- 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 up to [64GB], (Additional memory sold separately)
- 512 GB M.2 [PCIe] x4 (SSD) (2 Internal (HDD) Expansion Bays) , No Optical Drive
- 27-inch 4K UHD Display with Touch and Articulating Stand
- 8-in-1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.1, 3.0, Type-C with HDMI port.
The HP Envy is yet another all-in-one design which doubles as your primary computer for home/studio. That said, you can use this as your main video editing unit.
The HP Envy 27” A-i-O 27-b210 is powered by an 8th Gen 6-core Intel Core i7-8700 T processor. The processor is clocked at 2.4 GHz. It’s paired with 16 GB of RAM.
Graphics are powered by NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU with 4 GB of DDR5 VRAM. There are dual storage options on the computer. Plus, it comes with 1 TB of traditional HDD storage along with 256 GB of SSD storage.
The display is a 27” widescreen UHD / 4K IPS unit. It comes with a 10-point touch property.
- Processor: 8th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i7-8700T Processor, 6-Core, 2.40GHz.
- Video Graphics: nvidia(r) geforce(r) GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated).
- Monitor: 27-inch diagonal widescreen UHD (3840x2160) IPS WLED-backlit micro-edge touchscreen.
- Memory: 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (upgradable to 16 GB).
- Hard Drive and solid-state drive: 1 TB 7200Rpm SATA and 256 GB SSD.
RELATED POST: Best Video Editing Laptops
As you can read from the specs, this is not a typical video editing computer. Heck, this doesn’t even come with a monitor.
This ASUS ROG Strix computer is designed for avid gamers. But that said, it has enough computing power to handle your video editing requirements.
Here are the details of the computer:
At the heart of the Asus ROG Strix GL12 is a 9th Gen Intel Core i7 – 9700K processing unit. It’s paired with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 GPU with 8 GB internal memory.
The internal memory of the computer is 16 GB DDR4. Storage is a 256 GB PCIe NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) SSD.
Plus there’s a 2 TB HDD to save the bulk of your data into a slower storage option while all your applications and current project files are located on a separate faster storage option. 😎
But that said, the items that are missing are the display and peripherals. A fine UHD / 4K monitor, a keyboard, and at least a light pen and you are on your way to creating movie magic.
This is our pick as the best computer for video editing (tower only).
- New NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 Graphics powered by the Turing GPU architecture brings the power of real-time Ray...
- Factory overclocked 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9700k @ 5.0GHz, full Eight-Core OC
- 256GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD; 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM; Windows 10 Home
- Esports and LAN-party ready with hot-swap SSD bay and USB 3.1 Gen 1 front panel connections
- Game your way with Asus Aura Sync RGB chassis lighting, aura-compatible ROG Strix flare mechanical Keyboard, and ROG Gladius...
There are several versions of the iBuypower Pro Gaming PC. The one we’re referring to is powered by an Intel i7 – 9700K 8-core 3.6 GHz processor. Paired with it is a GeForce RTX 2070 GPU with 8 GB internal VRAM.
The internal memory of the computer is a 16 GB DDR4. Storage consists of a combination of SSD and HDD units. There’s a 240 GB SSD unit to install your OS and applications. Plus there’s a 1 TB HDD unit for your larger files.
RELATED POST: Best Monitors for Video Editing
Being a dedicated gaming unit it comes with an effective liquid cooling mechanism.
The downside? This is not an A-i-O and therefore there is no monitor, keyboard, and mouse that is shipped with it. You will have to add these components separately. But the core you get with this computer is very powerful.
Plus, you can easily add the rest and create a formidable editing unit for your needs.
- System: Intel Core i7-9700k 8-Core Processor 3. 6 GHz (4. 9 GHz Max Turbo) | Intel Z370 Express Chipset | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz...
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Dedicated Gaming Video Card | VR Ready | Display Connectors: HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI |...
- Connectivity: 5 x USB 3. 1 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | Audio: 7. 1 Ch. HD Audio | 802. 11AC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth...
- Special Add-Ons: iBuyPower signature trace Tempered glass RGB Gaming Case | Liquid Cooled | 802. 11AC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Ready...
- Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labor + Free Lifetime Tech Support | Assembled in the U. S. A
What’s The Best Computer For Video Editing?
Whew, that was a lot of details! To help you choose the best computer for video editing, here’s a side-by-side comparison of the models we’ve covered today.
|2.9 GHz Intel Core i7||2 TB SSD||32 GB of DDR4 RAM||28-inch touch screen display; 4500 x 3000 pixels||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB of GDDR5|
|Apple 27” iMac Pro Retina 5K||3 GHz Intel Xeon W 10- core||4 TB PCIe SSD||32 GB DDR4 RAM||27” 5K Retina Display||AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64X GPU|
|Asus Zen AiO PC with 23.8” full HD display||8th Gen 6-core Intel Core i7 – 8750H; 2.2 GHz|
128 GB m.2 SSD and a 1 TB HDD
|8 GB of DDR4 RAM||23.8-inch Full HD resolution||GeForce GTX 1050|
|7th Gen Intel Core i7||512 GB of SSD (plus 2 expansion bays)||16GB RAM||27-inch 4K UHD Touchscreen Display||Radeon RX570|
|8th Gen 6-core Intel Core i7-8700 T||1 TB of traditional HDD; plus 256 GB SSD||16 GB of RAM|
27” widescreen UHD / 4K IPS
|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU|
|9th Gen Intel Core i7 – 9700K||2TB HDD; plus 256 GB PCIe NVMe SSD||16 GB DDR4||not included||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 GPU|
|Intel i7 – 9700K 8-core 3.6 GHz||21 TB HDD; plus 240 GB SSD||16 GB DDR4||not included||GeForce RTX 2070 GPU|
Since we’re only picking a handful of these computers, we most likely missed some of your personal choices. If we do, feel free to leave details of your preferred choices in the comments section at the end of this article.
Note: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Certain content that appears on PhotoWorkout.com comes from Amazon. This content is provided ‘as is’ and is subject to change or removal at any time.