Best Desktops for Photo Editing
If you are looking for the best desktop for photo editing in 2017, you have landed at the right place. Even though the trend is towards going mobile (e.g. connecting a great laptop for photo editing to a high resolution external monitor), but then again, if you want an amazing permanent workstation for all your photo edting tasks at home or at work, nothing beats a great desktop PC or Mac.
Top 4 Photography Desktops (2017)
- Our Winner: Dell XPS x8910-23420BLK Desktop (Availabe for $914.90 – This is the Editor's Choice for “Best Desktop for Photo Editing 2017”)
- HP ENVY 34 CURVED Desktop (PC Computer All-in-One at$1,999.95)
- Apple 27” iMac Desktop Computer (Priced atCheck on Amazon)
- The Lenovo Idea Centre 700-25 ISH (Priced atOut of stock)
Top 3 Desktops for Photography
We discussed earlier the top laptop choices for photographers and the best monitors for photo editing. In this blog post, we shall look at the best desktops for photo editing. A discussion of the top four choices for desktops for photo editing is likely to be dominated by Apple’s products. However, we have kept this as impartial as possible with adequate representation from non-Apple manufacturers as well.
At the top of your list of concerns when shopping for a desktop computer for photo editing needs is the route that you should take and I don’t mean the proverbial Windows vs Mac. Rather, I mean buy-off-the-shelf against building one to your taste.
There are several things that you need to look into when buying a desktop computer. While your requirements may not be too demanding for you to order one that is water-cooled, rather than fan-cooled, you simply cannot overlook the need for processing power.
1. OUR WINNER: The Dell XPS x8910
This is yet another Intel Core i7-6700 3.4 GHz processor (upgrade up to 4.0 GHz) powered desktop computer with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti dedicated graphic card (with 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory).
While most photographers won’t need more than the installed 16 GB of RAM (and that is even if they have multiple RAW files open on Photoshop), this desktop can really flex its muscles with and can be upgraded to a whopping 64 GB of RAM.
Additionally, there is a total of 1 TB of storage and 7 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports for plenty of external storage and devices (e.g. just add a 2TB external storage, anyways we recommend keeping your photos on external drives only). Otherwise, the 2TB version is also available and costs not much more (DELL XPS 8910 with 2TB retails at$939.00)
Plus it has a blue ray combo drive and an SD Card Reader (USB 3.1). The Dell XPS 8910 comes preloaded with Windows 10 Professional.
Our Pick for “Best Desktop for Photo Editing”: The DELL XPS 8910
- Intel Core i7-6700, up to 4.0 GHz Processor with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti with 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- 16GB DDR4 Included; 64GB Maximum
- 1TB HDD Storage; DVD-RW
- No Monitor Included
- Windows 10 Home Operating System; Black
2. The HP Envy 34″ Curved All-in-One
Okay, to begin with, this is an all-in-one PC Computer (the desktop is built into the monitor).
But the specs are equally impressive for your photo editing requirements, especially when you consider that it has an Intel Core i7-7700T 4.20GHz Processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 TB hard drive (Pure SSD) and a NVIDIA GeForce 960A Graphics card.
The HP Envy PC comes pre-loaded with Windows 10. In addition, this power-packed PC/Monitor comes with Bang & Olufsen audio speakers and an HD web camera built-in.
- Latest 2017 7th Gen Intel i7-7700T Quad Core Desktop Processor & Windows 10 Professional
- Dedicated AMD® Radeon RX460 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card & 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
- 34" Curved Widescreen WQHD LED-backlit (3440 x 1440); Use the 34" as a monitor for another device with HDMI-in or if 34" isn't enough, you can plug in a secondary monitor with HDMI-out!
- 256GB Eluktro Pro-X Performance PCIe SSD to handle your operating system and applications plus a 2TB hard drive for extra storage.
- Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse; Sound bar for incredible audio with Bang & Olufsen: Front-firing quad speakers direct sound toward you at a 45-degree angle for clear, loud audio.
3. The Apple 27” iMac Desktop Computer
To round up this discussion of best desktops for photo editing we take a look at the Apple 27” iMac. Apple’s desktops and laptops have long been favorites among photographers and the photo editing community.
This iMac computer in many sense combines the best that Apple has to offer. It is powered by a 3.3GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory (configurable up to 32GB) and a 2TB fusion drive.
The Apple iMac has an AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processors with 2GB of GDDRs5 memory. It has 2 Thunderbolt ports giving it lighting quick transfer speeds both ways.
- 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
- Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
- 8GB Onboard Memory (Configurable up to 32GB)
- 2TB Fusion Drive
- AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
4. VCI Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 (The NEW Power Horse!)
This new VCI Lenovo ThinkCentre Desktop (available since May 2017) is powered by a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-6700 with of 16GB of RAM (it is also available at 8GB). The storage capacity is a solid 4TB with 1TB SSD. The graphics card is the high-performance and dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 720.
This desktop is the newest PC Desktop we have picked and the Intel Core processor is ideal for photo and video editing work. In terms of connectivity, the Lenovo ThinkCentre has 8 USB ports, 4 Display Ports, and 1 VGA Port.
- Processor: Intel i7-6700 Quad Core Processor (8MB Cache, 3.40 - 4.0 GHz)
- Storage: 1TB Solid State Drive & 4TB Hard Drive | DVD-RAM/±R/±RW
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1 GB Graphics | 8 x Total USB Port(s) | 1 VGA - 4 Display Ports | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- Warranty: 3 Year Onsite Warranty
- Hard Drive & RAM Upgrade* | View Product Description for more details | The system includes our renowned Technical Support which answers your technical support calls within an average hold time of only 15 seconds. Upon arrival of your new PC, please contact Vision Technical Support to register your systems for our Managed Services. After registration, you will receive one year of Vision Computers free technical phone and remote support.
Join Our Newsletter & Get a Free eBook
10 Most Common Photography Mistakes & How to Avoid Them!
Wanderlust at heart and a shutterbug who loves to document his travels via his lenses; his two passions compliment each other perfectly.
He has been writing for over 6 years now, which unsurprisingly, revolve mostly around his two favorite pursuits.
Latest posts by Rajib (see all)
- Best Drones under $400 - July 26, 2017
- Best Manfrotto Tripods for Travel, Outdoor and Indoor Shooting - July 21, 2017
- SmugMug vs Zenfolio: Which one is Better? - July 19, 2017