The Best Desktops for Photo Editing
We discussed earlier the top laptop choices for photographers and the best monitors for photo editing. In this blog post, we shall look at the best desktops for photo editing. A discussion of the top four choices for desktops for photo editing is likely to be dominated by Apple’s products. However, we have kept this as impartial as possible with adequate representation from non-Apple manufacturers as well.
At the top of your list of concerns when shopping for a desktop computer for photo editing needs is the route that you should take and I don’t mean the proverbial Windows vs Mac. Rather, I mean buy-off-the-shelf against building one to your taste.
There are several things that you need to look into when buying a desktop computer. While your requirements may not be too demanding for you to order one that is water-cooled, rather than fan-cooled, you simply cannot overlook the need for processing power.
1. The Lenovo Idea Centre 700-25 ISH
This desktop is powered by a 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7-6700 Processor with a total of 8 GB of RAM. The storage capacity of 1TB with 7200 RPM speed. The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Graphics.
This desktop is the best bang for the buck and the Intel Core processor is ideal for photo and video editing work.
- Lenovo Direct
- Personal Computers
2. The HP Envy 34″ Curved All-in-One
Okay, to begin with, this is an all-in-one PC Computer (the desktop is built into the monitor).
But the specs are equally impressive for your photo editing requirements, especially when you consider that it has an Intel Core i7-7700T 4.20GHz Processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 TB hard drive (Pure SSD) and a NVIDIA GeForce 960A Graphics card.
The HP Envy PC comes pre-loaded with Windows 10. In addition, this power-packed PC/Monitor comes with Bang & Olufsen audio speakers and an HD web camera built-in.
- Latest 2017 7th Gen Intel i7-7700T Quad Core Desktop Processor & Windows 10 Professional
- Dedicated AMD® Radeon RX460 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card & 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
- 34" Curved Widescreen WQHD LED-backlit (3440 x 1440); Use the 34" as a monitor for another device with HDMI-in or if 34" isn't enough, you can plug in a secondary monitor with HDMI-out!
- 256GB Eluktro Pro-X Performance PCIe SSD to handle your operating system and applications plus a 2TB hard drive for extra storage.
- Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse; Sound bar for incredible audio with Bang & Olufsen: Front-firing quad speakers direct sound toward you at a 45-degree angle for clear, loud audio.
3. OUR WINNER: The Dell XPS x8910
This is yet another Intel Core i7-6700 3.4 GHz processor (upgrade up to 4.0 GHz) powered desktop computer with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti dedicated graphic card (with 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory).
While most photographers won’t need more than the installed 16 GB of RAM (and that is even if they have multiple RAW files open on Photoshop), this desktop can really flex its muscles with and can be upgraded to a whopping 64 GB of RAM.
Additionally, there is a total of 1 TB of storage and 7 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports for plenty of external storage and devices (e.g. just add a 2TB external storage, anyways we recommend keeping your photos on external drives only). Otherwise, the 2TB version is also available and costs not much more (DELL XPS 8910 with 2TB retails at $989.99 )
Plus it has a blue ray combo drive and an SD Card Reader (USB 3.1). The Dell XPS 8910 comes preloaded with Windows 10 Professional.
Our Pick for “Best Desktop for Photo Editing”: The DELL XPS 8910
- Intel Core i7-6700, up to 4.0 GHz Processor with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti with 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- 16GB DDR4 Included; 64GB Maximum
- 1TB HDD Storage; DVD-RW
- No Monitor Included
- Windows 10 Home Operating System; Black
4. The Apple 27” iMac Desktop Computer
To round up this discussion of best desktops for photo editing we take a look at the Apple 27” iMac. Apple’s desktops and laptops have long been favorites among photographers and the photo editing community.
This iMac computer in many sense combines the best that Apple has to offer. It is powered by a 3.3GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core processor, 8GB Memory (configurable up to 32GB) and a 2TB fusion drive.
The Apple iMac has an AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processors with 2GB of GDDRs5 memory. It has 2 Thunderbolt ports giving it lighting quick transfer speeds both ways.
Join Our Newsletter & Get a FREE eBook: 10 Most Common Photography Mistakes & How to Avoid Them!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
Wanderlust at heart and a shutterbug who loves to document his travels via his lenses; his two passions compliment each other perfectly.
He has been writing for over 6 years now, which unsurprisingly, revolve mostly around his two favorite pursuits.
Latest posts by Rajib (see all)
- Coming Soon: The Canon PowerShot Sx730 HS - April 21, 2017
- The Best Home Photo Printers (Top 7 Canon & Epson) - April 19, 2017
- Best Camera For Headshots – Top Six Choices - April 12, 2017