We have previously covered some of the best Sony full-frame zoom lenses. Here we are going to take a look at the best Sony full frame lenses as a whole. We’ve included a mix of Sony lenses with third-party lenses from Sigma and Tamron.
Best Lenses for Sony FE (Full Frame) Cameras
1. Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G
- Compact ultra-wide prime G lens w/ stunning wide-open resolution
- F1.8 max aperture provides extraordinary exposure and depth of field
- Compact, lightweight design, ideal for both full-frame and APS-C2 cameras
- Advanced Aspheric elements for natural, lifelike high resolution
- Two XD Extreme Dynamic Linear motors for fast, precise autofocus
The Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G is best for:
- Long Exposures
- Environmental Portraits
Earlier this year Sony launched the Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G lens. This Gold series lens had a long time coming. But every bit of that wait is now worth it because it seems like a solidly built lens. This fast prime lens has an angle of view of 94 degrees and comprises 14 elements arranged in 12 groups.
Construction and Special Elements – Aspherical elements, extra-low dispersion elements, and Nano AR coating ensure that the lens performs admirably well in bright outdoor conditions.
Important Features – Other features include a smooth manual focusing ring. The auto-focus mechanism on the lens is powered by a dual XD Linear Motor system. Finally, the lens has a dust and moisture-sealed design.
2. Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art
The Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art is best for:
- Travel Photos
- Long Exposures
This is a slightly pricier lens designed for the full-frame Sony E-mount camera system. I couldn’t resist myself from picking yet another wide-angle lens because this one gives you the advantage of choosing a focal length range between 14 and 24mm. Therefore the angle of view of the lens is much wider at 114.2 degrees (fully zoomed out) when compared to 94 degrees on the 20mm lens. Plus, as a travel photographer, you need that extra flexibility.
Construction and Special Elements – There are a number of low dispersion as well as aspherical elements used in the construction of the lens. On top of that Sigma’s Super Multi-Layer coating has also been used. Together, the layers ensure a good suppression of chromatic aberrations, flares, and ghosting.
Important Features – Just like any other Art lenses, the Sigma 14-24mm is known for its superior performance, as well as build quality. This is a newer version and Sigma has made this a bit smaller and lighter. Perfect for mirrorless cameras such as the A7 and the A9.
3. Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, 90mm Macro with a bright F2.8 maximum aperture, Nano AR...
- Minimum Focus Distance : 0.92 ft (0.28 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 1.0x, Focal Length : 90 mm. The angle of view is 27...
- Optical Steady Shot image stabilization for handheld shooting, Instant manual/auto focus selection via a sliding focus ring,...
- Corner to corner sharpness w/ Advanced Spherical elements, Super ED glass w/ multi‐coating reduces flare and ghosting,...
- Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing; Weight: 602 g (21.3 oz)
The Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens is best for:
- Product shots
- Flower photography
- Works as a second portrait lens
- Beautiful bokeh with f/2.8 aperture
There is something mesmerizing about the whole concept of macro photography. It is a world unto itself, providing you with practically unlimited photography options. And if you are looking to shoot macro photos then the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS is one of the best Sony full-frame lenses you could get.
Construction and Special Elements – Extra-low Dispersion and aspherical elements have been used to produce sharper images devoid of any aberrations. The lens features Nano AR coating that suppresses ghosting and flares.
Important Features – Some of the major features of the lens include a focus range delimiter button and a focus hold button. Both these help in the overall focusing process. One taking down the time to achieve focus and the other to lock focus when multiple shots are to be made using the same frame.
But the best feature is undoubtedly its ability to shoot 1:1 perspective for stunning macro images.
4. Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6–6.3 G OSS
- Outstanding g lens resolution throughout the Zoom range
- 5x ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements Reduces flare & ghosting
- Direct drive Supersonic Wave Motor for fast, quiet, precise focus
- Aspherical lens element dramatically reduces spherical aberration
- Nano AR coating suppresses Reflections, flare and ghosting
The Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6–6.3 G OSS is best for:
- Bird Photography
- Wildlife Photography
- Sports Photography
If you are into birding or wildlife photography or even sports photography for that matter, a telephoto lens is a must-have. And in that regard, there are not many Sony-made super telephoto options. There is the Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS and the Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS. But those two are definitely out of bounds for most photographers. For someone looking for a cheaper alternative the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6–6.3 G OSS as well as the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS are worth a look. The second is expensive but it is also a GM lens while the first one is more affordable but of slightly lower quality. The first one is what we’ll focus on, as it is more affordable, and takes you to super-telephoto reach at 600mm.
Construction and Special Elements – The lens comes with a series of elements to counter aberrations and distortions. Low-dispersion elements and aspherical elements ensure better color contrast by suppressing chromatic aberrations. Additionally, the lens incorporates Nanocrystal coating to ensure that flares and ghosting are suppressed.
Important Features – The lens features a direct drive super-sonic auto-focusing motor. The motor is very silent and performs admirably in all situations. It comes with a Focus Delimiter button that helps in limiting the focus hunting time.
5. Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art lens
- Package Dimensions: 10.5 cms (L) x 18.3 cms (W) x 19.3 cms (H)
- Product Type: Camera Lenses
- Package Quantity: 1
- Country Of Origin: Japan
The Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art lens is best for:
- General Photography
- Wedding Photography
- Street Photography
- Travel Photography
Sigma recently came out with this lens. With the launch of this lens E-mount users now have several options to choose from if they are looking for a 24-70mm zoom. A 24-70mm lens is a perfect walk-around lens for everyday photography purposes. The focal length covers almost everything that you can think of within that ‘normal’ range. Of course, it won’t photograph something at 200 yards or something as close as a few centimeters. But for everything else, the 24-70mm is the first choice.
Construction and Special Elements – The special elements used to make the lens includes a number of low dispersion and aspherical elements. The engineers have also incorporated multi-layer and Nanoporous coatings. The latter two suppresses flares and ghosting and improves contrast in the process.
Important Features – Among the notable features of the lens is its weather sealing. The lens can withstand a bit of inclement weather as well as dust and dirt. The fast constant aperture of f/2.8 gives you a lot of room to shoot in a wide variety of light levels. This is a Sigma Art series lens and as such is representative of the quality that it brings to the table.
6. Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD
- World's most lightweight large aperture wide-angle zoom in its class (smaller than original F4 lens)
- Superb image quality high mtf performance (utilizing the camera body compensation)
- The RXD stepping motor unit is exceptionally quiet
- Moisture-resistant construction - fluorine coating
- Versatile, exciting combination when paired with the 28-75mm F/2. 8 Di III RXD (Model A036)
The Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD is best for:
- Landscape Photography
- Travel Photography
This is a fast standard zoom designed by Tamron and comes in several mounts including one for the Sony E mount. This third iteration of the lens comes with several strong USPs. Anyone looking for a fast wide standard zoom may be interested in buying one of these.
Construction and Special Elements – The lens features Tamron’s XLD as well as LD elements. Along with that, Tamron engineers have provided the lens with BBAR coating. This is the same as Nanocrystal coating and ensures that the lens is able to suppress flares and ghosting that is commonplace with wide aperture lenses working in bright lighting situations. Finally, a Fluorine coating has also been provided to ensure that the lens is able to repel dirt and dust.
Important Features – The autofocus motor is an RXD stepping motor technology-powered unit. This unit performs very silently when locking focus. Full-time manual focusing is also included. You can move from auto to manual focusing very quickly. This is suitable for video shooting.
7. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
- Completely redesigned and reengineered
- Exceptional image quality
- Incredible focal point sharpness when wide open
- Pairs well with pro-level dslr’s
- Mtf a1-tested
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art is best for:
- Everyday photos
- Portrait Photography
This list wouldn’t be complete without a nifty fifty, and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art lens is a premium choice when it comes to 50mm primes.
Construction and Special Elements – The construction of the glass incorporates three Special Low Dispersion glass elements and one molded aspherical element. The floating system also ensures that the lens is able to counter vignetting by improving brightness at the corners. Sigma engineers have also used Super Multi Coating to suppress flares and ghosting when working in difficult lighting conditions (the sun is lower at the horizon) with a wide-open aperture.
Important Features – The fast wide aperture is definitely the highlight of the lens. Which along with its floating mechanism ensure that the peripheral brightness of the lens is at par. Finally, the use of Thermally Stable Components ensures that the barrel length of the lens remains the same across temperature fluctuations.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Certain content that appears on PhotoWorkout.com comes from Amazon. This content is provided ‘as is’ and is subject to change or removal at any time.