Today, we are going to look at some of the best zoom lenses for Sony mirrorless cameras.
Sony is a leading brand in the mirrorless segment. Along with Panasonic and Fuji, they make some of the best mirrorless cameras in the business (albeit in the traditional full frame and APS-C segment).
Sonys Mirrorless: the most Popular Mirrorless Cameras
As a matter of fact, the Alpha a7 R and the Alpha a7 S are extremely popular cameras in their own segments (high resolution and low light performance respectively). Not to mention the Alpha a7 and the Alpha a9 cameras. These cameras offer a world of opportunities in the right hands, provided of course you pair them with the right lens.
Even the best of cameras are practically useless unless you have the right lens mounted on them. Mirrorless cameras are no different. So what is the right lens? It depends on what you plan on shooting and also on what your personal preferences are.
So, something like an 85mm would be perfect for one occasion but a bad choice for the other. The same way a lens like the 35mm would be ideal for a certain requirement but a terrible choice for another. We are going to on the best zoom lenses for Sony mirrorless cameras. Just to clarify these lenses are all designed for the full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless camera systems.
A zoom lens is considered a versatile choice.
Because it has a variable focal length that goes back and forth between something that captures a wide perspective and then zooms in to get a closer picture without you needing to change lenses.
The standard focal length range is the sort of focal length that you would use for shooting still life, street, weddings, group shots and everything in between. Not so good for wildlife and stuff but perfect for that impromptu moment.
Okay, so without further ado let’s take a look at the best zoom lenses for Sony mirrorless.
The Top 4 Sony Mirrorless Lenses Compared
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
- Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
1. Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
Probably the one lens that you would want to work with all the time. That is if you are a street and journalistic type photographer. The Sony FE 16-35mm GM has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 across its focal length range.
For street photography, you would want to stop down the lens anyways. 16-35mm is perfect for street, architecture, and landscape. We recently discussed the best all-around zoom lenses for DSLRs and the 16-35mm features prominently on that list as well.
Auto-focusing is powered by Sony’s Direct Drive Super Sonic Wave AF motor technology. The construction of the lens consists of two extra-low dispersion elements, three aspherical elements, and two XA elements.
In total there are 16 elements arranged in 13 groups. Sony has made available its Nano AR coating in this lens which ensures better handling of ghosting and flares. Resultantly, the lens produces a better color saturation and contrast when working in bright outdoor conditions.
The front of the lens has been treated with a fluorine coating. This coating ensures that the lens is able to repel off dirt, grime, and fingerprint, stuff that hampers the quality of your images. The diaphragm blades consist of 11 blades all rounded and promising very nice bokeh quality.
- Sony AUTHORIZED DEALER - Includes Full Sony USA WARRANTY
- Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM Wide-angle Zoom Lens Full-Frame E-Mount Cameras
- An advanced optical design that includes two Sony XA (extreme aspherical) elements achieves outstanding resolution, low...
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Sony FE 16-35mm Wide-angle Zoom Lens - Lens Hood ALC-SH149 - Lens Front Cap ALC-F82S - Lens Rear...
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM Wide-angle Zoom Lens Full-Frame E-Mount Cameras - Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC...
2. Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS
We picked the Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS lens because we feel this lens would probably be one lens that you would never want to take off. That is if you want to keep things simple and don’t want to carry several lenses with you every time you feel like making images.
This is a general purpose lens giving you a broad focal range from the wide-angle 24mm to a medium telephoto 105mm. Plus, it has image stabilization built-in. You would be shooting handheld 95 % of the times with a lens like this and it makes sense to have OSS built-in.
The construction of the lens includes four aspherical elements and three ED elements. In addition, Sony has provided the lens with Nano AR coating for preventing flares and ghosting from affecting the quality of the images. On top of that, the lens features some dust and moisture resistance which ensure that you can use it in slightly bad weather. That said the lens is not completely weatherproof.
Auto-focusing is powered by Sony’s direct drive super-sonic motor. Optical steady shot image stabilization has also been provided. The system works in tandem with the built-in body-based image stabilization system available in some Sony cameras. The aperture diaphragm is composed of nine rounded blades.
- G-lens design with 4 aspherical and 3 ED glass (extra-low Dispersion) elements, for high corner-to-corner resolving...
- 35 mm full-frame.Constant F4 maximum aperture maintains exposure and Depth of field throughout the zoom range
- 9-blade circular aperture contributes to beautifuly de-focused bakgrounds
- Minimum focusing distance of just 125 feet provides close-up ability for an expansive range of expression
- In-the-box: Hood (ALC-SH152), Lens front cap (ALC-F77S), Lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), Case
3. Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
The letters GM stands for G master which signifies that these lenses are a part of Sony’s premium lens segment. Among the few 24-70mm lenses that Sony makes for its mirrorless cameras, we picked the GM one. ‘Cause this is the best as per Sony.
Speaking of the best the lens, it has a decent build quality and is able to resist tough conditions. Making it one of the best if not the best zoom lenses for Sony mirrorless. Not that the lens is weather sealed, though.
The FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM is what is arguably the best focal length range.
With a 24-70mm lens you can shoot almost anything, landscape, portraits, group shots and of course everyday fleeting moments. The fast wide f/2.8 aperture ensures that you are able to capture a decent amount of light no matter the ambient light. Though it is not the fastest it is workable.
The construction of the lens includes one XA element and two aspherical elements. It also includes one ED element and one super ED element. Resultantly, the lens produces better bokeh and has a better time suppressing chromatic and other aberrations. Plus, the lens has a Nano AR coating.
Auto-focusing on the lens is powered by direct drive super-sonic wave AF motor. Speaking of focusing, the lens focuses internally. You also get a focus hold button on the lens which comes in handy when you need to focus and recompose for those off-center compositions. Finally, a 9 blade aperture diaphragm promises nice bokeh.
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format. One XA Element, Two Aspherical Elements
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22, Minimum Focus Distance - 1.24 ft. Focal-Length : 24-70 mm, Maximum Magnification ratio :...
- One ED Element, One Super ED Element, Nano AR Coating.Angle of View : 84°-34°
- Angle of view aps-c is 61 degree to 23 degree. No shake compensation function. Depending on the lens mechanism, the...
- In-the-box: Hood (ALC-SH141), Lens front cap (ALC-F82S), Lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), Case
4. Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
Finally, the one lens you would need badly once you realize that your 24-70mm could only take you so far, and you badly need a telephoto lens to get you closer to the action. Enter the 70-200mm lens. The perfect pair for the 24-70mm. The lens has a maximum wide aperture of f/2.8 across the focal length.
The internal construction of the Sons FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS includes an XA element, two aspherical elements, four ED elements, and two super ED elements. On top of that, the lens also features Sony’s Nano AR coating.
Auto-focusing is powered by Sony’s Dual Linear & super Sonic wave AF motors. The lens also has a special focus range delimiter button which comes in handy when shooting subjects that have less contrast or are at a known distance. You also get a focus hold button.
Mind you this is a GM (G Master) lens and the build quality is thus commensurate of the tag. The lens is rated to be both dust and moisture resistant. But not truly weather sealed. The aperture diaphragm is made out of 11 blades.
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh, Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and...
- Class-leading min. focus distance of 37.8" / 0.25x max. mag, Dual floating focus system for high AF speed and precision,...
- Aspherical elements & 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh, Min. focus breathing and par focal design ideal for...
- Rigid construction with constant lens length during focusing and zooming, High performance Optical Steady Shot Image...
- Nano AR coating suppress reflections, flare and ghosting, XA (extreme aspherical) element with 0.01 micron surface...