Stock Photography Success Stories
During the research for our new eBook titled “How to make your first $1,000 with Stock photography,” we looked at some photographers who are already crushing it with stock photography.
- Rajib Mukherjee
- Kindle Edition
- Edition no. 1 (04/19/2016)
Three Examples: Making Good Money With Stock Photography
1. Yuri Arcurs
The Industry Leader and 50+ Million Dollar Guy
Mr. Microstock & the best selling microstock photographer of all times started in 2005.
This is how it all started:
- Shot stock for fun and as a hobby while studying at the University.
- Used friends as models.
- Started with a $50 budget per photo shoot.
- Decided to go full time after 500 total images for sale on Shutterstock.
Now Yuri owns his own stock photography distribution network (Peopleimages.com).
2. Brendan van Son
The Adventurer and World Explorer: Making $$$ while traveling
Brendan is a 30-year-old travel photographer who has set foot in around 80 countries on 6 different continents.
How he started:
- Left home (Canada) in 2009 with $500 to his name & a point and shoot camera.
- A pure desire to spend the rest of his life exploring the planet.
- He started taking photos to support his writing & uploaded them to ShutterStock and iStock.
For Brendan Stock Photography is fairly residual and passive and he spends very little time on it. He now makes $6,000 a year from Stock Photography and has all the time to grow his other streams of passive income (blogging, ebooks, videos etc.).
And of course, he is doing what he enjoys the most: traveling around the World and seeing great places!
You can see his portfolio of stock images on ShutterStock.
3. Josh Hodge
A photo posted by Josh Hodge (@joshmhodge) on
The Perfectionists: Improving your photography skills = higher earnings
Josh is a young photographer, specialized in advertising and lifestyle stock imagery.
This is how it all started:
- At the age of just 21, he moved to Denmark to study Architecture.
- Worked for a stock agency checking 1,000s of images on a daily basis.
- Developed an eye for quality and perfected his photography technique.
- Quickly rose through the ranks arriving in the top 20 contributors at iStock by all-time sales.
- Became friend of Yuri (yes, Mr. Microstock!).
- Now he has one of the highest selling image collections worldwide!
Josh surely spend a lot of time building his portfolio of great pictures. But he also had time for his other passion: training for the Ironman.
Josh today is ranked amongst the top 1% of Ironman athletes worldwide!
You can see his portfolio of photos on iStock.
Join Our Newsletter & Get a Free eBook
10 Most Common Photography Mistakes & How to Avoid Them!
The PhotoWorkout Team is always curious about the latest photography gear, post-processing software, up & coming photographers, and amazing photos from around the world. Stay tuned for more to come 😉
Latest posts by PhotoWorkout (see all)
- Stock Photography Legal FAQs (Types, Releases and Licenses) - June 19, 2017
- ON1 Photo RAW 2017.5 Review (Updated Version) - June 8, 2017
- Best Monitors for Your MacBook Pro - May 31, 2017