Best Tablets for Photo Editing
We compared the best tablets for photography (for 2018) and shortlisted 8 of them.
This post is about the best tablets for “editing photos”, not taking photos. We will be looking at tablets with the best cameras in a future post.
Why You need a Tablet to Editing Photos
A portable platform for editing your images on the go is a great addition to your overall photography gear.
Related Post: Best Smartphone Cameras 2018
Maximize your Time when on the Go!
Many times when flying or in between flights we have several hours to do absolutely nothing but give empty stares. This is probably the best time when you can edit or at least do some minor adjustments to your images. That basically keeps you in tune with your delivery schedule and frees up time to enjoy your travel on the side.
It also takes away the pressure when you are back in your studio and have to edit everything in one go.
If you have a portable platform you can make adjustments of your photos of the day when at the hotel or in the lounge.
A tablet also has one more critical advantage: you can edit your images while they are still fresh in your mind. So things like the color balance or cropping the compositions, if necessary, can be done while they are still fresh in your mind.
But what would be a good mobile editing platform?
We are not talking about laptops here as they are not always the best choice when it comes to pure convenience. Tablets, with their significantly smaller bulk and weight are far better choices than the traditional laptops. This article is dedicated to these smaller and yet powerful devices.
Best Tablets for Photographers
- Samsung 32 GB Galaxy Tab S2 9.7″, from $289.94, Rating: (1,119 Reviews)
- Apple 9.7″ iPad Pro 32 GB, $398.99, Rating: (1,589 Reviews)
- Samsung Galaxy View SM-T670NZ, from $599.00, Rating: (442 Reviews)
- Apple iPad Air 128 GB 9.7″, from $267.43, Rating: (1,122 Reviews)
- Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″ 128 GB, $819.99, Rating: (30 Reviews)
- New 12.9″ iPad Pro 512 GB (2017), $1,149.00
- Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″ 256 GB, from $649.00, Rating: (330 Reviews)
- Apple 10.5″iPad Pro (512 GB), $1,699.11
Related Post: The Best Desktop for Photography
Beginner (Under $500)
Our Pick: The Apple iPad Pro 9.7″
1. Samsung 32 GB Galaxy Tab S2 9.7″
This 9.7″ tablet comes equipped with a Qualcomm Octa-core chipset that consists of a 1.8 GHz and a 1.2 GHz quad-core processors. Internal RAM is a 3 GB stick. Internal memory on the tablet is 32 GB. However, thanks to its expandable memory option, you can plug in an optional 128 GB of storage via a microSDXC card.
The display on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is a 9.7″ Super AMOLED touchscreen with a native resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels. The resolution is not the best when it comes to tablets that are ideal for editing photos on the go, but it is still acceptable.
- Enjoy rich colors and crisp details on the vibrant SuperAMOLED display ; Digital Optical Zoom: 4x Digital
- Battery type and Size Li-Ion 5,870mAh,Music play time up to 103 Hrs,Video play time up to 12 Hrs.The powerful...
- Expand your memory from 32GB to up to an additional 128GB with a microSDTM card.
- Easily share your favorite moments from your tablet to your TV. OS : Android 6.0, Marshmallow
- Seamlessly connect your Samsung tablet and Samsung smartphone.
Related Post: Best Tablets for Photoshop
2. Apple 9.7″ iPad Pro 32 GB
At just under $500, the Apple iPad Pro 9.7″ 32 GB is a versatile tablet with enough computing power to make short-work of most photo retouching works. It is powered by an Apple A9X 64-bit SoC processor with a M9 Coprocessor.
It has a display resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels (264 ppi Retina Display). The device comes preinstalled with Apple’s iOS 9 operating system. Internal storage of the device is only 32 GB. Not too great for day long shoots. But just enough for may be travels and vacation photos or a couple of hours worth of shoot.
- 9.7 inch Retina Display, 2048 x 1536 Resolution, Wide Color and True Tone Display
- Apple iOS 9, A9X chip with 64bit architecture, M9 coprocessor
- 12 MP iSight Camera, True Tone Flash, Panorama (up to 63MP), Four-Speaker Audio
- Up to 10 Hours of Battery Life
- iPad Pro Supports Apple Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil
Related Post: Best Laptops for Photo Editing
3. Samsung Galaxy View SM-T670NZ
The Samsung Galaxy View is an 18.4″ tablet powered by a 1.6 GHz Exynos 7580 Octa – core processor. The internal storage of the table is a reasonable 32 GB. Memory on the device is a 2 GB stick. Storage can be expanded on the tablet. You can plug in an additional 128 GB of storage.
The most striking aspect about the tablet happens to be its size. It’s quite large, even outsizing the larger 15″ and 16″ laptop displays. The resolution on the tablet is full HD (1920 x 1080). The display comes with touchscreen properties.
For those who prefer a smaller display the 18.4″ display of the Samsung Galaxy View might appear a bit too large. For those who prefer the convenience of a larger display the Samsung Galaxy View is perfect.
- With the Galaxy View, everything you love is at your fingertips. Access exactly what you wantinstantly with a...
- The Galaxy View's 18.4" 1080p full HD display gives you a big-screen experience, within arm's reach. And powerful...
- Designed with a built-in handle, the Galaxy View is light enough to go anywhere.
- With 8 hours of continuous play or watch time,2 you can binge-watch, game and browse forhours without pausing the...
- With the Galaxy View's intuitive and immersive touchscreen, you can control your shows,movies and games or browse your...
Related Post: Best Laptops for Video Editing
Enthusiast (Under $1,000)
Our Pick: The Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″
4. Apple iPad Air 128 GB 9.7″
This is the first generation Apple iPad Air with 128 GB of internal storage. The 9.7″ tablet comes with a multi-touch display and IPS technology. Processing speed of the iPad Air 9.7″ is powered by an A9 chip that has a 64-bit architecture. It also has a M9 motion coprocessor. The device comes with multi-touch capabilities as well.
The resolution of the display is 2048 x 1536 and has a pixel density of 264 ppi. It comes with Apple’s famed Retina Display. At the heart of the system is Apple’s iOS 10 operating system. This makes it easy for anyone to edit and retouch photos on the move.
With an internal storage of 128 GB the tablet has enough storage to download a full day worth of photos and yet have room to spare.
- 9.7-inch Retina display, wide color and true tone
- A9 third-generation chip with 64-bit architecture
- M9 motion coprocessor
- 1.2MP FaceTime HD camera
- 8MP iSight camera
Related Post: Best Laptops for Photo Editing under $500
5. Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″ 128 GB
We listed the 256 GB version of this tablet under the Pro segment of this review. For a price tag just under $1000, you get the 128 GB version of this wonderful tablet. The Microsoft Surface Pro is powered by a 7th generation 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5-7300U (Dual-Core) processor. The processor can be overclocked to a maximum of 3.5 GHz when working on resource hogging applications such as Lightroom Mobile, or VSCO or Snapseed.
In one way you get the familiarity of a Windows system with the convenience of a tablet all rolled into one device. You will need to buy the additional Surface Pro type cover that will allow you to enjoy the convenience of a laptop whenever you need it.
Related Post: Print Instagram Photos (9 Great Services)
Internal storage on the tablet is 128 GB (SSD) and internal memory is consisted of 4 GB of RAM. Just enough to store about half a day worth of work with a high resolution camera. The Surface Pro is compatible with the improved Surface Pen. Sold separately, this device comes with up to 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity. This is useful when editing and retouching stills.
The display comes with a resolution of 2736 x 1824 pixels and a pixel density of 267 ppi, making it one of the brightest and sharpest resolution in the business. The display supports 10-point touch. Windows 10 comes with multi-touch support and this is what makes it possible to take full advantage of that feature.
- Surface Pro 4 powers through everything you need to do, while being lighter than ever before
- 12.3" PixelSense touch screen with 2736 x 1824 resolution has extemely high contrast and low glare so you can work...
- 6th Gen Intel Core i5 processor with 4GB memory and a 128GB solid state drive plus microSD slot
- Dual HD cameras(Front 5MP, Rear 8MP) for photos and face-to-face chat; Bluetooth, Full-size USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort,...
- Go from tablet to laptop in a snap with the multi-position Kickstand and improved keyboard.
Related Post: The Best Smartphone Cameras
Our Pick: iPad Pro 12.9″ 512 GB
6. New 12.9″ iPad Pro 512 GB (2017)
The new iPad Pro (2017) is a 12.9″ tablet that runs on the latest iOS 10 operating system. It has a 2732 x 2048 pixel Retina Display with a pixel density of 264 ppi. It is a pretty decent display size for a tablet coupled with high resolution, and works as the perfect retouching platform for a photographer who prefers to stay ahead of the schedule. You can view your high resolution images at around 50% of their full size. It gives you an incredible advantage in reviewing and retouching if necessary.
At the heart of the 12.9″ Apple iPad is a 6-core A10X 64-Bit SoC + M10 Coprocessor. One of the things that is absolutely necessary for retouching images on a tablet is a fast refresh rate. This is important because when inputting with your fingers or your Light pen a faster refresh rate gives a better, smoother result. The iPad 12.9 has a 120 Hz refresh rate.
The iPad 12.9″ accepts mulprtiple types of inputs. It accepts multi-touch as well as inputs from the Apple Pencil. The Apple Pencil is a great tool for precise editing / retouching of your images. Internal storage of the tablet is a handy flash memory of 512 GB. That should be enough to store images from at least several days of shoot.
- 12.9-Inch Retina Display, 2732 x 2048 Resolution (264 ppi), 120Hz Refresh Rate, True Tone Display
- 256GB Flash Storage, 4GB RAM, 2.39GHz A10X Processor + M10 Coprocessor
- 4G LTE, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Rear 12MP iSight Camera; Front 7MP FaceTime HD Camera
- Up to 10 Hours of Battery Life (9 Hours with Cellular), Apple iOS 10, USB-C fast-charge Support (optional; not included...
- Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor, Fingerprint-Resistant Oleophobic Coating,
Related Posts: Best Laptops for Photoshop
7. Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″ 256 GB
The Microsoft Surface Pro is a 12.3″ tablet with a total internal storage of 256 GB. The tablet is powered by a 2.6 GHz 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300U (Dual-Core) processor. It has a total of 8 GB of RAM.
The resolution on the 12.3″ screen is 2736 x 1824 pixels. The pixel density on the tablet is a good 267 ppi. Resolution is slightly lower than the Apple 12.9″ that we just finished reading about. But for all practical purposes, the resolution of the Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″ is good enough.
Even though it is beaten in the resolution department, the Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3″ comes with a critical advantage. That advantage is that the 2.6 GHz processor can be overclocked to 3.5 GHz. When working on resource hogging applications such as Lightroom, this is an important feature to have.
The tablet comes with 8 GB of memory and 256 GB of SSD storage. The Surface Pro 12.3″ loses out to the Apple iPad 12.9″ in terms of storage. But then again, 256 GB is good enough for most shoots, unless you are planning to shoot videos.
- The latest Microsoft Surface Pro Features a 7th generation Intel Core M Processor, 128 GB of storage, 4 GB RAM, and up...
- Our fastest Surface Pro ever* thanks to a powerful Intel Core laptop-grade processor
- Go all day with up to 13.5 hours of battery life. * 50% more battery life than the previous generation
- Our lightest Surface Pro yet*, starting at 1.69 lbs (m3 model)
- Surface Pro Signature Type cover and Microsoft Surface Pen sold separately
Related Post: Best Tablet Cameras
8. Apple 10.5″iPad Pro (512 GB)
The major difference between the Apple 10.5″ iPad Pro and the 12.9″ iPad Pro is the size factor. The other difference being the overall resolution. 2732 x 2048 against 2224 x 1668 pixels. The smaller iPad does enjoy the same 264 ppi Retina Display that the larger iPad enjoys.
The internal storage on the laptop is a hearty 512 GB. A higher storage means you can use the tablet as a portable storage device as you move around on a shoot or when traveling. The SSD storage is a safe custody for your precious photos and videos.
The tablet is powered by an Apple A10X SoC processor with a M10 Coprocessor. The tablet comes with iOS 10 operating system. Together with the 64-bit processor the tablet is a portable powerhouse when it comes to editing or retouching your images on the go.
Just like the 12.9″ iPad Pro that we just finished reading about, the iPad 10.5 Pro also comes with multi-touch capabilities and a multi-input option. It accepts both touch and input via Apple Pencil.