When choosing the best tripod, there is always a fine balance between a number of parameters. Now, when it comes to finding the best tripods under $200, you might think you have to compromise on quality.
This is not the case.
Here at PhotoWorkout, we’ve put together a list of the best tripods under $200. The tripods we’ve chosen are the best at this price point and are made to suit various needs. Read on so you can find the tripod that’s right for you!
The Best Tripods Under $200
- Manfrotto Befree Advanced Travel Aluminum Tripod with Ball Head
- Geekoto 79” CT Tripod with Ball Head
- Slik Pro 700DX
- MeFOTO RoadTrip
- SIRUI AM2- Series AM-223 profiLegs Carbon Fiber Mini tripod
- Vanguard Alta Pro 264AB 100
- Sturdy Tiger
- Mactrem Lightweight professional travel tripod
- YESSBON Zomei CT Q666C tripod
Like its sibling, the BeFree Advanced Tripod comes with the Center Ball Head. This means you can use your setup straight out of the box.
In terms of weight, the whole system can support 17lbs of gear. And the weight of the tripod itself is about 3.5lbs. This small weight makes it suited for travel photographers.
- Maximum performance and stability ergonomic
- Professional QPL lever locking power in travel version
- On/off mechanism for easy adjustment
- Leg angle selector for the right and left handed
- Three leg angle positions
With a maximum working height of 79″, four-point extendable legs, and a 360-degree panoramic ball head, you’re guaranteed to get stunning, crisp images.
When it comes to weight, you can pile on 26lbs of gear, which is enough to support any professional DSLR setup. Thanks to its carbon fiber design, the tripod itself weighs only 3.4lbs. So its a perfect option for any kind of shooting scenario.
If you’re looking for the best tripods under $200, this is definitely worth considering.
- 【Carbon Fiber】Tripod tube is made of high-density carbon fiber, great improvement on portability.
- 【79'' Carbon Tripod】From 19’’ to 79’’ Flexible Adjustment.4-section column legs with quick release flip-locks...
- 【Monopod】This tripod can be quickly disassembled with the central axis screw and transform into a 81'' monopod, providing...
- 【Flexible】360°PANORAMA AND BALL JOINT: The specially designed ball-head can rotate 360° and get free angles, allowing...
- 【Portable】3.4lbs / 1.54kg tripod weight and 26.5lbs / 12kg maximum load weight. This tripod can make it the best...
This tripod is one of the few aluminum tripods we’re going to recommend. The reason for this is because aluminum is typically heavier than other materials, like carbon fiber. If you’re looking for the best tripod under $200 for video shooting, the Slik Pro 700DX is a tripod you should definitely consider.
Related Post: Best Video Tripods
Despite being heavier, the weight this tripod can handle is less than some of the other competitors, coming in at 19.8lbs. The height range is 76.8″, which will suit virtually any photographer in any scenario.
This tripod range has three models, the difference being the head type. The DX head (that’s perfect for videos) provides the tripod setup with a total weight of 7.1lbs. As you can see, this is heavier than the other tripods we’ve mentioned.
That said, the videography specific design may make this tripod perfect for your needs and worth the added weight.
- Load Capacity: 19.8 lb
- Max Height: 75.0", Min Height: 16.1"
- Folded Length: 29.9"
- Leg Sections: 3, Weight: 7.1 lb
- Aluminum, Magnesium, Titanium-Alloy Legs
The MeFOTO RoadTrip is another of our aluminum model recommendations, though if you like what the tripod offers but don’t want the added weight, it is worth noting there is a carbon fiber version available, too.
This tripod offers a maximum working height of 61.6″, which isn’t ideal if you’re taller. However, if you don’t mind bending down more than usual and you think this tripod is worth is, this tripod is a great choice.
If you’re looking for the perfect travel photography tripod under $200, the MeFOTO RoadTrip is exactly that. It’s small, light, and can hold a fair amount of weight.
Related Post: Travel Photography Tips
- The MeFOTO RoadTrip is a compact travel camera tripod that folds up inversely and turns into a monopod. When incorporated...
- 360-degree Panning: Accurate panoramas can be easily orchestrated using the graduated panning scale for accurate image...
- Recessed Center-Column Hook: A spring loaded recessed hook, located in the bottom of the center-column, allows you to hang...
- Precision Matched Q Series Ballhead: Dual action heavy duty ballhead with Arca-Swiss style compatible quick release plate....
- Five Leg Sections: Get the height you need and ultimate versatility. Twist Lock Legs with Anti-Rotation System: MeFOTO's...
Small is beautiful. One look at this miniature tripod and you would nod in affirmation. The Sirui AM2-Series AM-223 is a carbon fiber tripod that’s ideally suited for tabletop photography.
Now you might be wondering, what use it a tabletop tripod? The answer is, it’s incredibly useful! You can use this tripod for all kinds of photography. Macro photography is something that comes to mind immediately. And you can also use this tripod for shooting small products, especially when shot with a light tent.
The tripod is capable of supporting a maximum weight of 22lbs. It is perfect for a wide range of camera systems including pro DSLRs and lenses. The tripod comes with three section legs and removable spiked feet which you can alternate with the rubber feet depending on the surface that you are shooting on. This gives it added versatility to be able to work on any kind of surface. All in all, if you’re looking for something small, this is the best tripod under $200.
- Basic detail: model: am-223; color: Black; material: carbon fiber; weight: 1. 17lbs (tripod) + 0. 45lbs (ball head); max...
- Functional characteristics: easy adjustment: 3-section column legs with twist leg locks enables you to adjust the working...
- Material characteristics: The whole set weights only 1. 62 lbs. , So it is easy to carry everywhere and suitable for shooting...
- Excellent process: The mounting screw is interchangeable from 3/8" To 1/4"
- 6 years Manufacturer available only to authorized dealer and the product is sold
This tripod is another classic. If you’re looking for versatility, the Vanguard Alta Pro has you covered. This tripod is equipped with a 360-degree ball head, an adjustable central column, which gives you a 180-degree range, along with feet equipped with retractable spikes, these allow it to handle a range of terrains. All of these features mean you shouldn’t have any issues using the tripod exactly how you want to.
The tripod itself offers a maximum working height of 65″, which should be comfortable for those of average height. As previously mentioned, the central column is adjustable making for easy transitions in working angles/positions.
The total weight-bearing capacity of the tripod is 15.4lbs.
Despite it being an older model, this is still an excellent choice for the best tripods under $200.
- The US product warranty is valid only when shipped from or sold by an authorized reseller. Visit the Vanguard World company...
- 26 mm 4 section aluminum legs adjust to 25, 50, and 80-degree angles to enable extreme low angle photography and smooth...
- Hexagon-shaped central column moves from 0 to 180 degrees
- The instant swivel Stop-n-Lock (ISSL) System securely repositions the central column in one simple movement
- Premium magnesium die-cast canopy and anti-shock ring
Despite its lack of popularity on the market, the Sturdy Tiger is a tripod suited to a range of tasks. You’ll find it particularly useful for product, macro, and tabletop photography.
A unique feature is that the central column can also be adjusted to hold the camera directly above the subject.
Now, despite the fact that this tripod is well suited to small scale photography, it will also excel in other genres, like landscape photography. This is because the tripod offers a maximum working height of 67″ and it is also rather lightweight, despite being made from aluminum.
If you are on a budget and looking for one of the best tripods under $200 then you should take a look at the Sturdy Tiger.
- ADD SOME PERSPECTIVE – From low angle shots to landscape views, you need a DSLR camera tripod that’ll help you capture...
- PICTURES MADE PORTABLE – Heavy camera supplies are a hassle, especially when you’re on the road! But this STURDY TIGER...
- STABLE SETUP – Make sure your camera is safe, secure, and stable with a steady stand. Our tripod for DSLR cameras has legs...
- PANORAMIC POSSIBILITIES – Turn your visions into reality with the right still and video tripod! The 360-degree ball head...
- PUTTING YOU FIRST – When it comes to your camera accessories, you expect a lot. At STURDY TIGER, we take pride in the...
This Mactrem tripod is super light. But when it comes to the weight that it can support the Mactrem Lightweight Professional Travel Tripod is quite good. The Mactrem weighs 2.9lbs and it supports 33lbs.
The legs of the tripod open up in 4 sections. The maximum working height of the tripod is 62.5″. Yes, this is a bit smaller when compared to something like the Geekoto 79″ CT tripod that we mentioned at the beginning of this discussion. But it is still a great tripod.
A 360-degree ball head is also provided with this tripod. Allowing you to move and position your camera regardless of whichever direction your subject comes from.
- 【 Professional Camera Tripod with High-Quality Ball Head, Stronger Corrosion & Wear Resistance 】The high-quality ball...
- 【 Super Lightweight yet Sturdy, Great for Travel 】Weights only 2.9lbs but can support up to 33 pounds. Thousands...
- 【 Monopod/Alpenstock with Soft Foam Grip, Extra Phone Mount & Carry Bag 】 The travel tripod can be detached and converted...
- 【 360̊ Horizontal Panorama & Macro Photography 】 Creating professional shot and amazing panorama with the 360 horizontal...
- 【 100% Satisfaction on Both Product & Service 】Please feel free to CONTACT US when you have any problem or request, a...
The YESSBON Zomei tripod is an extremely highly rated and well-appreciated tripod. It comes complete with a heavy-duty 360-degree ball head which ensures that you can start using the rig straight out of the box.
The maximum working height of the tripod is just 61”. Which is far smaller than a majority of the tripods that we have discussed here. But the strong construction using carbon fiber makes it a durable unit.
The central column is a five-section unit and the legs are 4-section and can be extended independently of each other. The total weight-bearing capacity of the tripod is 17.6lbs while the actual weight of the tripod is just about 1.2lbs.
- Compact: The tripod legs can be inverted and folded back 180 degree, giving it a compact size of 14.5",and it has a portable...
- Design: 5-section center column ,realizing your lowest angle shooting.The leg height can be individually adjusted as needed...
- Stable: High-density carbon fiber tube ,universal ball head handle with secured clip and quick release leg locking.
- Dual Use: 2-in-1 tripod, the tripod could be converted into a full size monopod by screwing together the removeable center...
- Warranty: 12 months worry-free quality assurance. We're confident you will like this, if not you have 45 days to change your...
Best Tripods Under $200: Closing Thoughts
From what we’ve covered here, it’s clear to see that even on a budget, you can still get some of the best tripods for under $200.
In summary, the best tripods, in terms of weight, are those which are made of carbon fiber. This is much lighter than an aluminum-bodied counterpart but it will cost you more. For a tripod with increased stability on uneven terrain, pick a tripod that has some form of spiked foot feature. If you’re looking to do macro or product photography, a tabletop tripod will work perfectly.
If you have a favorite tripod that you think deserves the title of best tripod under $200, let us know in the comments below!
If you’re working on an uneven surface, tripods with retractable or removable spiked feet are best. They provide much better traction on uneven surfaces.
Carbon fiber tripods are typically a better choice since they’re lightweight whilst still offering functions on par to an aluminum frame. However, carbon fiber tripods cost more so the added weight of an aluminum tripod might be a sacrifice you take for the reduced cost.
Ball heads are useful for allowing movement in both a 360-degree radial motion, as well as in an upward/downward motion. They offer simple, yet effective movement of your camera body whilst mounted to a tripod.
PT heads come with independent tilting, horizontal and vertical movement controls. So each of these movements can be initiated independently. This allows for a high level of precision when making adjustments to the position of the camera.
PT heads offer a much finer control than ball heads. Ball heads, on the other hand, offer a faster locking mechanism for a situation when you need to respond quickly. Such as when shooting sports, birds or wildlife. So, ultimately, the choice is yours.
The central column of your tripod is the main supporting structure which mounts the tripod head. This, in turn, supports the camera and lens. The majority of tripod systems come with a telescopic central column. Some have the ability to swivel 180-degrees, and some even have a hook for hanging a weight for increased stability.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Certain content that appears on PhotoWorkout.com comes from Amazon. This content is provided ‘as is’ and is subject to change or removal at any time.