When choosing the best tripod, there is always a fine balance between a number of parameters. Now, when it comes to finding the best tripods under $200, you might think you have to compromise on quality.
This is not the case.
Here at PhotoWorkout, we’ve put together a list of the best tripods under $200. The tripods we’ve chosen are the best at this price point and are made to suit various needs. Read on so you can find the tripod that’s right for you!
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no cost to you. We evaluate products independently. Commissions do not affect our evaluations.
The Best Tripods Under $200
- Manfrotto Befree Advanced Travel Aluminum Tripod with Ball Head
- Geekoto 79” CT Tripod with Ball Head
- Slik Pro 700DX
- MeFOTO RoadTrip
- SIRUI AM2- Series AM-223 profiLegs Carbon Fiber Mini tripod
- Mactrem Lightweight professional travel tripod
- YESSBON Zomei CT Q666C tripod
- National Geographic Travel PhotoTripod Kit with Monopod
- K&F Concept TC2534 66” Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod
- IFFOTAGE 65-inch Aluminum
- K&F Concept 72 inch
- SIRUI AM-005 Ultra-Light Travel Tripod
Like its sibling, the BeFree Advanced Tripod comes with the Center Ball Head. This means you can use your setup straight out of the box.
In terms of weight, the whole system can support 17lbs of gear. And the weight of the tripod itself is about 3.5lbs. This small weight makes it suited for travel photographers.
- PORTABLE: Intuitive to use and easy to configure, this travel tripod is convenient in all travel situations, furthermore its...
- COMBINABLE: The supplied plate is compatible with the most common standard head attachments - Manfrotto and Arca-Swiss -...
- VERSATILE: Allows you to change the perspective and tripod height without losing the camera's focus. The angles of the legs...
- COMPLETE: The 494 aluminium ball head allows you to position the camera quickly and precisely, through the 3 independent...
With a maximum working height of 79″, four-point extendable legs, and a 360-degree panoramic ball head, you’re guaranteed to get stunning, crisp images.
When it comes to weight, you can pile on 26lbs of gear, which is enough to support any professional DSLR setup. Thanks to its carbon fiber design, the tripod itself weighs only 3.4lbs. So its a perfect option for any kind of shooting scenario.
If you’re looking for the best tripods under $200, this is definitely worth considering.
- Carbon fiber: high-density carbon fiber, with good stability and light weight
- 360° ball head: The ball head can rotate 360° make it shooting around 360° and with horizontal bubbles, and a scale
- Adjustable and expandable: the legs of the tripod have 3 adjustable triggers and retractable ring buckles, which can be...
- Multi-function: not only can be combined into a monopod, can be used as a trekking pole, but also can be upside down for...
- Special design:ball head with 1/4 inches Quick -release plate,suitable for camera with 1/4 inches screw holes . weight hook...
This tripod is one of the few aluminum tripods we’re going to recommend. The reason for this is because aluminum is typically heavier than other materials, like carbon fiber. If you’re looking for the best tripod under $200 for video shooting, the Slik Pro 700DX is a tripod you should definitely consider.
Despite being heavier, the weight this tripod can handle is less than some of the other competitors, coming in at 19.8lbs. The height range is 76.8″, which will suit virtually any photographer in any scenario.
This tripod range has three models, the difference being the head type. The DX head (that’s perfect for videos) provides the tripod setup with a total weight of 7.1lbs. As you can see, this is heavier than the other tripods we’ve mentioned.
That said, the videography specific design may make this tripod perfect for your needs and worth the added weight.
- Load Capacity: 19.8 lb
- Max Height: 75.0", Min Height: 16.1"
- Folded Length: 29.9"
- Leg Sections: 3, Weight: 7.1 lb
- Aluminum, Magnesium, Titanium-Alloy Legs
The MeFOTO RoadTrip is another of our aluminum model recommendations, though if you like what the tripod offers but don’t want the added weight, it is worth noting there is a carbon fiber version available, too.
This tripod offers a maximum working height of 61.6″, which isn’t ideal if you’re taller. However, if you don’t mind bending down more than usual and you think this tripod is worth is, this tripod is a great choice.
If you’re looking for the perfect travel photography tripod under $200, the MeFOTO RoadTrip is exactly that. It’s small, light, and can hold a fair amount of weight.
- The MeFOTO RoadTrip is a compact travel camera tripod that folds up inversely and turns into a monopod. When incorporated...
- 360-degree Panning: Accurate panoramas can be easily orchestrated using the graduated panning scale for accurate image...
- Recessed Center-Column Hook: A spring loaded recessed hook, located in the bottom of the center-column, allows you to hang...
- Precision Matched Q Series Ballhead: Dual action heavy duty ballhead with Arca-Swiss style compatible quick release plate....
- Five Leg Sections: Get the height you need and ultimate versatility. Twist Lock Legs with Anti-Rotation System: MeFOTO's...
Small is beautiful. One look at this miniature tripod and you would nod in affirmation. The Sirui AM2-Series AM-223 is a carbon fiber tripod that’s ideally suited for tabletop photography.
Now you might be wondering, what use it a tabletop tripod? The answer is, it’s incredibly useful! You can use this tripod for all kinds of photography. Macro photography is something that comes to mind immediately. And you can also use this tripod for shooting small products, especially when shot with a light tent.
The tripod is capable of supporting a maximum weight of 22lbs. It is perfect for a wide range of camera systems including pro DSLRs and lenses. The tripod comes with three section legs and removable spiked feet which you can alternate with the rubber feet depending on the surface that you are shooting on. This gives it added versatility to be able to work on any kind of surface. All in all, if you’re looking for something small, this is the best tripod under $200.
- Compact Tripod: Material: carbon fiber; Color: Black; Weight: 1.17lbs (tripod) + 0.45lbs (ball head); Sections: 3; Min Tube:...
- Functional characteristics: easy adjustment: 3-section column legs with twist leg locks enables you to adjust the working...
- Material characteristics: The whole set weights only 1. 62 lbs. , So it is easy to carry everywhere and suitable for shooting...
- Excellent process: The mounting screw is interchangeable from 3/8" To 1/4"
- What You Get: 1 x SIRUI AM-223 Mini Tripod; 1 x B-00K Ball Head; 3 x Stainless Steel Spikes; 2 x Allen Wrench; 1 x Portable...
This Mactrem tripod is super light. But when it comes to the weight that it can support the Mactrem Lightweight Professional Travel Tripod is quite good. The Mactrem weighs 2.9lbs and it supports 33lbs.
The legs of the tripod open up in 4 sections. The maximum working height of the tripod is 62.5″. Yes, this is a bit smaller when compared to something like the Geekoto 79″ CT tripod that we mentioned at the beginning of this discussion. But it is still a great tripod.
A 360-degree ball head is also provided with this tripod. Allowing you to move and position your camera regardless of whichever direction your subject comes from.
- 【 Professional Camera Tripod with High-Quality Ball Head, Stronger Corrosion & Wear Resistance 】The high-quality ball...
- 【 Super Lightweight yet Sturdy, Great for Travel 】Weights only 2.9lbs but can support up to 33 pounds. Thousands...
- 【 Monopod/Alpenstock with Soft Foam Grip, Extra Phone Mount & Carry Bag 】 The travel tripod can be detached and converted...
- 【 360̊ Horizontal Panorama & Macro Photography, 】 Creating professional shot and amazing panorama with the 360...
- 【 100% Satisfaction on Both Product & Service, 2-Year Warranty 】We offer a 2-year warranty for this camera tripod. Please...
The YESSBON Zomei tripod is an extremely highly rated and well-appreciated tripod. It comes complete with a heavy-duty 360-degree ball head which ensures that you can start using the rig straight out of the box.
The maximum working height of the tripod is just 61”. Which is far smaller than a majority of the tripods that we have discussed here. But the strong construction using carbon fiber makes it a durable unit.
The central column is a five-section unit and the legs are 4-section and can be extended independently of each other. The total weight-bearing capacity of the tripod is 17.6lbs while the actual weight of the tripod is just about 1.2lbs.
- Compact: The tripod legs can be inverted and folded back 180 degree, giving it a compact size of 14.5",and it has a portable...
- Design: 5-section center column ,realizing your lowest angle shooting.The leg height can be individually adjusted as needed...
- Stable: High-density carbon fiber tube ,universal ball head handle with secured clip and quick release leg locking.
- Dual Use: 2-in-1 tripod, the tripod could be converted into a full size monopod by screwing together the removeable center...
- Warranty: 12 months worry-free quality assurance. We're confident you will like this, if not you have 45 days to change your...
8. National Geographic Travel PhotoTripod Kit with Monopod
Lightweight carbon fiber construction. Good value for money.
The National Geographic Travel Photo tripod kit is a small carbon fiber made tripod that also doubles up as your monopod kit. The legs are five-section units that extend according to the working height that you need the tripod to be.
Additionally, the tripod comes with a twist lock mechanism to ensure that you are able to alter the working length of the tripod by adjusting the legs using just one hand.
The maximum load-carrying capacity of the tripod is 8 kilos. The advantage of that is you are able to support most of your travel photography gear on it. A heavy DSLR with a wide-angle lens or even a telephoto lens. If you are a mirrorless user then you have a lot more room to maneuver.
Carbon fiber construction makes the tripod lightweight and at the same time extremely sturdy. Capable of handling a lot of abuse and mishandling.
One of the legs has a padded leg warmer. It comes in handy when you are working in cold weather and have to take your gloves off even once. It prevents a rude shock every time.
One of the legs double up as a monopod. Simply turn the lock and take the leg off. Then mount the ball head on top of that leg to convert it into a monopod.
At the base of the central column is a spring loaded hook. This is for mounting a counterbalance or anything heavy that can increase the overall stability of the tripod. This comes in handy in windy situations. Especially when working in inclement weather.
Let’s take a quick look at the ball head. The ball head is very smooth. It locks into position at the precise point where you want it to for that perfect shot. Additionally, there is a separate pan lock which comes in handy when shooting landscapes.
The branding is very elegant and is worth mentioning. Every time you unfold the tripod and set it up for work you are bound to turn a few heads.
9. K&F Concept TC2534 66” Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod
Sturdy carbon fiber construction. Great performance.
Carbon fiber made tripods are the best when it comes to traveling and shooting on the go. Especially if you are a travel or landscape photographer. There is always that thinking behind choosing a travel tripod and that is what the sweet spot is? Meaning maximum weight of the tripod Vis a Vis the maximum weight that the tripod is able to support. You need the perfect synergy of low weight and higher payload capacity. And this is where the carbon-fiber made travel tripods come into the picture.
This particular one, the K&F Concept TC2534 is a carbon-fiber made tripod and comes with a number of useful features that makes your job as a travel photographer a lot more pleasurable.
The ingenuity of the tripod design is apparent from the fact that the legs fold 180 degrees. That makes the folded length of the tripod to be smaller.
The diameter of the tube is 25mm. The sturdy tubes can support up to 10 kilos of payload. Needless to say that is more than enough for your heaviest DSLR along with a telephoto lens, filter and other accessories.
One of the lenses (the one with the padded leg warmer) comes off and works as your monopod in case of need. Alternatively, if you are hiking on a trail or walking across rough terrain you can make use of this single leg as a walking stick.
Then again, unscrew the ball head from the main central column and screw it on to this leg and you have a fine working monopod.
The ball head on top of the central column can be rotated 360 degrees. The quick-release plate is smooth to work with, i.e., mount and dismount. Allowing you to take your camera on and off the tripod as needed. And speaking of the central column it can be mounted upside down. This is handy because when you are shooting anything that is close to the foot of the tripod, in other words, you are basically shooting with the camera held directly on top of the subject, and you need the central column to be able to hold the camera in that position.
10. IFFOTAGE 65-inch Aluminum
Aluminum made tripod. Value for money.
We prefer not to include aluminum made tripods in the travel tripod category. The reason is aluminum made tripods are a bit on the heavier side. But we make an exception or two if the tripod in consideration is a tough one and good enough for shooting in multi-various situations.
This is because the IFFOTAGE 65-” is a video tripod. And being a video tripod it comes with precise pan and tilt features. This is extremely useful when you are shooting videos. But comes in handy when you are doing still work as well.
Now a majority of the tripods out there do not allow the central column to be reverse mounted. The IFFOTAGE 65-” is one unit that does. The advantages are that you can use it for shooting macro photography. Especially when the camera angle is directly overhead.
The legs of the tripod when fully extended reach a maximum height of 65 inches. The three sections of the tripod ensure that you can adjust the same to your need.
The overall payload capacity of the tripod is 13.2 pounds. That is decent because in any case you are not likely going to carry too heavy equipment on your travels.
Speaking of travels and considering the limited space we have to pack our things, the IFFOTAGE 65-inch does fold down to a size of 25-inch.
11. K&F Concept 72 inch
Extended working height. Sturdy construction.
This is the second of the two K&F Concept tripods that we have included on this list. We like the sleek design and the carbon fiber chassis of the tripod. Plus, this one has a longer height compared to the other one that we have listed here. The extra height is useful if you are over 6 feet tall and need the camera system to be at eye level when shooting.
We like the act that the legs of the tripod are four sections. That allows one to precisely set the working height of the tripod according to needs. This is the same as the K&F Concept TC2534 66” Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod we discussed above.
The fact that the legs have a twist lock/unlock mechanism means you would be able to operate them and set it up quicker.
One of the legs come off and converts into a monopod. This is the same one that also has the leg warmer.
The ball head rotates the full 360 degrees. This is a huge advantage because you don’t have to move the tripod around to adjust the composition. Once the legs are fixed into the position you can move the head around and recompose according to your requirement.
Additionally, if you love shooting panoramas or even try out video shoots of amazing locations you would love the 360-degree rotating ball head.
Now coming down to the weight of the tripod and the amount of weight that it can support. The tripod weighs 1.81 kilos and supports 10 kilos of weight. That’s good enough for supporting most decent-sized DSLRs along with telephoto lenses and other accessories.
12. SIRUI AM-005 Ultra-Light Travel Tripod
This is a lightweight carbon-fiber option for travel photographers
Travel tripods are supposed to be lightweight. Therefore the first parameter to look for when shopping for a travel tripod is the weight of the tripod vis-à-vis the payload capacity. Foldability, lightweight, higher payload capacity, and price; everything has to be in a perfect balance. And in that sense the SIRUI AM-005 is a good option.
The maximum working height of the tripod is 53.8 inches. The minimum working height is 3.1 inches and that when folded down in its transportation form it reaches a minimum height of 11.2 inches. The minimum working height is useful for shooting macro and close-up photography. And the folded down height is so small it clings on to any travel backpack without any issues.
The maximum supported weight is on the lower side. You can only support about 11 pounds. That means a lightweight DSLR with a kit lens. Or maybe a prosumer DSLR with a kit lens.
One of the major features of the tripod legs is that they can swivel at an angle of 180 and upwards. This ensures that you can set-up the tripod legs independent of each other and at the precise position you want them to be. This is really useful when working in weird working spots trying to capture something that you can normally never do using an evenly spread leg position.
The ball head itself too revolves 360 degrees. This is also useful when you are shooting panoramas. Plus, having set up the legs it often becomes a pain when you want to change the composition and have to unwillingly again move the tripod.
With the 360 degrees rotating ball head you can easily change composition on your whim without having to worry about having to move the tripod legs.
Best Tripods Under $200: Closing Thoughts
From what we’ve covered here, it’s clear to see that even on a budget, you can still get some of the best tripods for under $200.
In summary, the best tripods, in terms of weight, are those which are made of carbon fiber. This is much lighter than an aluminum-bodied counterpart but it will cost you more. For a tripod with increased stability on uneven terrain, pick a tripod that has some form of spiked foot feature. If you’re looking to do macro or product photography, a tabletop tripod will work perfectly.
If you have a favorite tripod that you think deserves the title of best tripod under $200, let us know in the comments below!
Which tripods are best for working on uneven surfaces?
If you’re working on an uneven surface, tripods with retractable or removable spiked feet are best. They provide much better traction on uneven surfaces.
Carbon fiber tripods or aluminum tripods?
Carbon fiber tripods are typically a better choice since they’re lightweight whilst still offering functions on par to an aluminum frame. However, carbon fiber tripods cost more so the added weight of an aluminum tripod might be a sacrifice you take for the reduced cost.
Why are ball heads useful?
Ball heads are useful for allowing movement in both a 360-degree radial motion, as well as in an upward/downward motion. They offer simple, yet effective movement of your camera body whilst mounted to a tripod.
Why are PT heads useful?
PT heads come with independent tilting, horizontal and vertical movement controls. So each of these movements can be initiated independently. This allows for a high level of precision when making adjustments to the position of the camera.
Should I choose a ball head over a PT head?
PT heads offer a much finer control than ball heads. Ball heads, on the other hand, offer a faster locking mechanism for a situation when you need to respond quickly. Such as when shooting sports, birds or wildlife. So, ultimately, the choice is yours.
Why is the central column of your tripod important?
The central column of your tripod is the main supporting structure which mounts the tripod head. This, in turn, supports the camera and lens. The majority of tripod systems come with a telescopic central column. Some have the ability to swivel 180-degrees, and some even have a hook for hanging a weight for increased stability.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Certain content was provided "as is" from Amazon daily and is subject to change or removal at any time.