The Essential Photography Equipment List for Beginners
If you are a beginning photographer, taking the leap from a basic point-and-shoot to a full-blown professional-grade camera isn’t as easy as it may seem.
Of course, buying the camera itself is just a small part of the equation. But, it’s not always easy to know exactly what it is that you need to get ahead.
Therefore, having a creative eye and a thoughtful outlook can take a person a long way in the field.
✔ Photography Equipment List for Beginners
1. Prime Lenses
4. External Hard Drive
5. Memory Cards
7. Polarizing and ND Filters
8. Bag/Carrying Gear
9. Cleaning Supplies
10. Rechargeable Batteries
11. Color Checker
Must-Have Gadgets for the Beginning Photographer
So, which gadgets should beginning photographers keep on hand? This list below provides the specifies that any beginning photographer needs. Also, it explains how and why each piece propels users further along their photographic journey.
It comes as no surprise, that any photographer’s first purchase should be a lens. Of course, most cameras come equipped with a standard kit lens.
However, it’s unheard of for the average kit lens to live up to the quality a versatile prime lens has to offer. Although they lack the adjustable focal length, a fixed focal length is unbeatable.
All Lenses Are Not Equal
Keep in mind, no two lenses are exactly the same. Shapes, sizes, and prices vary significantly. More notably, each available model accomplishes something different.
Also, it’s important to consider the direction you’d like to take as a photographer before making any purchase. For instance, landscape photographers will likely want to invest in a wide angle lens, such as the Canon EF-S 24mm.
- Wide-angle lens for Canon APS-C cameras (equivalent to 38mm on a full-frame camera)
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24mm 1:2.8, maximum magnification of x0.27
- Slimmest and lightest lens of the EF-S series
- Circular aperture (7 blades) delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds
- Full-time manual focus allows manual focus adjustment while in One Shot AF mode
Macro Photography Lens
On the other hand, portrait and aspiring macro photographers will likely want to check out a model that offers a longer focal length, like the Nikon AF-S 85mm.
Although a bit bulkier and pricier than the Canon 24mm cited above, it’s nice to have an additional option that is capable of performing a different job.
Related Post: How to Organize Your Photography Equipment
- Fast aperture medium telephoto lens
- Internal Focus, Focal Length: 85 mm, Minimum Focus Range: 0.80 m
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM). Number of diaphragm blades:7 (rounded diaphragm opening)
- M/A focus mode switch
- Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
For Those On A Budget
For those on a budget, a 50mm is an excellent jumping off point. In fact, third party glass lenses such as the Yongnuo YN 50mm are purchased for as little as $50. Don’t let the low price fool you – it provides a superb image, reaching apertures as low as f/1.8.
Additionally, since a lens often proves to be an investment worth hundreds of dollars, cutting corners where you can is an important skill.
- Angle Range: Diagonal 46° /Vertical 27° /Level 40°
- Lens structure:5 groups 6 slices
- Minimum aperture: f/22 /Filter diameter/Number of available:52mm/1
- Closest focusing distance:0.45 meter
- Maximum magnification and field of view:0.15×160×240mm (when located to 0.45 meter)
Related Post: Choosing A Nikon Lens
A decent tripod is a worthwhile purchase for anyone working with a camera. Keep in mind, with a tripod it becomes possible to utilize long exposures and low ISOs. This is achieved without the risk of motion blur. It is also used in conjunction with a remote shutter release. You could even use a camera without any sort of direct contact.
Additionally, a tripod allows you to neatly bracket shots, opening up doors for HDR experimentation. But, what exactly makes a tripod great? It all depends on your priorities.
Portability and Strength
In short, it comes down to finding the right balance of portability and strength. A hiker might prefer a model that’s easy to carry long distances. Although a photographer sporting a bulky lens might prefer something that offers above average support.
As a result, for beginners, the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 055 Aluminum Tripod is a great place to start. With the ability to safely support 9 kg, you feel confident in the strength and stability that this offers.
Additionally, it weighs in at just over 5 pounds, making it lightweight and practical for photographers on the go. So, offering up the best of both worlds, this particular tripod is an excellent baseline in determining which qualities mean most to you.
- Unprecidented Strength. Top Attachment: 3/8 inch screw
- Redesigned Q90 center column with quick one finger operation
- Easy Link connection for adding accessories
- Redesigned upper disk with rotating bubble level
- Safety Payload Weight:9 kg.
The most helpful tool a photographer can have on hand is light to spare. For most image makers, a speed-lite is the easiest and most convenient way to illuminate a scene quickly and efficiently.
Also, synced directly to a camera’s shutter, it offers a powerful burst light for fractions of a second. Keep in mind, most of the major brands and third party manufacturers produce flash units of their own.
The Look and Control You Need
The Canon Speed-lite 430EX II Flash in particular has everything you are looking for in a speed-lite.
- Automatic and manual control settings
- 24-105mm zoom head (this detects sensor size)
- Full coverage
- Mounts easily
- Utilized as an independent wireless “slave” unit
Additionally, thanks to its small size, a beginning photographer can carry along in virtually any camera bag. With just a few of these on hand, you can achieve the look and control that comes with studio lighting just about anywhere.
- Superior build quality, including a metal foot for added strength
- Approximately 20% faster recycling time, compared to previous 430EX II
- 1-Touch Quick-Lock Mechanism for easy attaching/detaching flash from camera
- Full flash control possible on camera menu, with compatible EOS digital SLRs
- Zoom head full frame: 24mm-105mm, virtually silent operation
Think of an external hard drive as a form of insurance. Though it may not be directly beneficial in the moment, having a catalog of images tucked away can offer a piece of mind should your computer suddenly fail. That being said, any wise beginning photographer should have one of two backups on hand at any given time.
Also, aside from security, external hard drives are just plain useful. As the output quality of cameras continue to improve, resulting image files are growing larger and taking up more space.
As a result, we recommend the HGST Touro S Portable Drive. The truth is that there are plenty of viable options out there. But, keep in mind that with an additional terabyte of storage space, it’s possible to fit tens of thousands of RAW image files onto a single drive.
- Slim and compact 5400 RPM portable drive for all your digital files
- Transfer faster with fast USB 3.0 interface (backwards compatible with 2.0)
- Two levels of protection, with preloaded local and cloud backup software, to help keep your content safe
- 3GB of cloud backup enables anywhere, anytime remote access
- Preformatted for PCs, easily reformatted for Macs
Keep in mind, without a memory card, digital photographs won’t have anywhere to go and cannot be recorded. Therefore, a decent set of memory cards is a necessity. Due to advancements in camera technology, nearly every camera provides a slot to accommodate a small SD card.
Another point to mention, due to their popularity, SD cards are found at inexpensive prices. So, you can find them just about anywhere, from corner convenience stores to specialized photography shops.
Also, some higher end cameras are compatible with Compact Flash (CF) cards. They are a bit larger than their SD counterparts and are significantly more durable.
Because of this, the CF card is a bit pricier than the SD. In terms of speed and capacity, however, they don’t divert much from SD.
Related Post: Best Compact Flash Cards
Memory Card Storage
Due to SD and CF cards being inherently small, they’re quite easy to lose track of and misplace without proper storage and organization.
So, the Honsky Aluminum Memory Card Carrying Case and other similar products offer a safe place to store unused memory cards. Also, since it’s compact and protected from the elements, it can be thrown in a camera bag and taken on the go without a second thought.
- 1 Pack of Honsky SD Card Case: Tough Aluminum Alloy; Product Size 4.4 x 2.9 x 0.7 inch; Color: Silver
- Lightweight, compact and sturdy design
- Water resistant seal and shock-proof hard protective metal clam shell for most safety in carrying and storage of your...
- Very durable hinge mechanism for longer life span
- 16 compartments in total, 8 x SD cards, 8 x microSD cards, suitable for SD / Micro SD / SDHC / SDXC /TF
Much like a speed-lite, reflectors are used by beginning photographers and professionals in the field and in the studio to bring in supplementary light. Reflectors are primarily used to redirect existing light for a more diffused and natural look.
Also, while a speed-lite may be convenient and more immediate at times, it’s important for photographers to have multiple lighting options when it comes to cultivating a feeling or idea through an image
Also, there are several different types of reflectors available, each sporting different surfaces that absorb or bounce light away to varying degrees. For instance, a shiny silver reflector will significantly brighten highlights and shadows, while a white reflector will produce a much softer, more subtle light.
For this reason, those still figuring out the basics behind working with light may want to opt for the Neewer 43-inch 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi Disc Light Reflector, which offers a different reflector options worth experimenting with.
- 43" 110CM 5 in 1 Collapsible Multi Disc Light Reflector
- Translucent, silver, gold, white, and black
- This reflector fits any standard reflector holders
- 100% Brand New! 3 Months Warranty By Seller.
What is a polarizing filter? Though it may not look like much, it makes all the difference for landscape and nature photographers. The pictured Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer is an excellent tool for every beginning photographer.
Placed in front of the lenses front element, it plays a crucial role in keeping composition elements properly exposed. This is true, especially when working during daylight hours.
Also, photographers often have to work around blown out skies or distracting reflections. So, with the ability to absorb polarized reflected light, the addition of this filter instantaneously brings out details and colors that might otherwise be lost without making adjustments to camera settings.
Also, products that are equally useful are neutral density (ND) filters. Available in multiple stop values, ND filters also recover details by bringing down the overall exposure of a scene. As a result, this makes it possible to create long exposure images during daylight hours while retaining detail in highlights.
- Creates dramatic sky/cloud contrast.
- Saturates colors without changing color balance.
- Mount rotates to control amount of effect.
- Multi Coated for flare protection.
- High Transparency Polarizing Film.
Related Post: 7 Amazing Photography Backdrops
Certainly, you’ll need something to store all of your gear in. So, depending on what your needs happen to be, there are an array of options available.
So, for those traveling long distances – especially via airplane – the Pelican 1510 Case is a good bet. Since it’s sturdy and secure, it keeps fragile, expensive gear locked down and protected. Also, the design is reminiscent to a piece of luggage, complete with wheels and a retractable handle for easy movement.
- Watertight, Crush-Proof and Dust-Proof. LID DEPTH: 1.79" (4.5 cm); BOTTOM DEPTH: 5.79" (14.7 cm); TOTAL DEPTH:...
- FAA Maximum Carry On Size and buoyancy is 64.15 pounds
- open cell core with solid wall design to make a strong yet lightweight travel case
- Easy open double throw latches cover, O-Ring seal and A Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve.
- Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence. INTERIOR (L X W X D): 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60" (50.2 x 27.9 x 19.3 cm) EXTERIOR (L X W...
Obviously, weight is important, and a huge case isn’t always practical. So, for those packing lighter, there’s a plethora of backpacks designed to carry all of a photographers essentials. When venturing outdoors, GOgroove DSLR Camera Backpack Case allows users to keep their hands free without any concerns of gear getting in harms way.
- PORTABLE AND STYLISH BACKPACK Designed for DSLR cameras, laptop and accessories - Works with Canon EOS T5 / T6 / SL1 /...
- PADDED LAPTOP COMPARTMENT can fit up to 15.6" laptops , tablets , notebooks and more. Secure, zippered opening is 16.5"L...
- ADJUSTABLE INTERIOR COMPARTMENTS plus many additional user friendly features including rain cover , tripod foot holder ,...
- COMFORTABLE, PADDED SHOULDER STRAPS allow for wear as a backpack or tuck one strap away and wear as a sling; utilize the...
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE Covered by 3 year manufacturer's warranty ; External Dimensions - 17" x 12" x 7" / Waist straps...
While camera upkeep isn’t necessarily the most glamorous part of a photographer’s responsibilities, understanding how to keep your camera clean ultimately saves both time and money.
Because a DSLR is an incredibly sensitive piece of equipment, any dirt and grime buildup left untreated is detrimental.
Clean With Care
Above all, your camera is sensitive to water and prone to scratching. Haphazard cleaning techniques irreparably damage the body, the lens, and the sensor. As a result, we recommend the Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit. It provides the supplies needed to maintain every element of the camera, including:
- 6 Dry Sensor Cleaning Swabs
- Microfiber Cloths
- 50 sheets of Lens Tissue Paper
- 2 oz. Natural Cleaning Spray
- an Air Blower
- a Lens Brush
Also, even seemingly insignificant smudges can distort details and get in the way of a photo’s overall sharpness. So, having cleaning materials easily at hand, you ensure that any issues your camera has will be taken care of immediately.
- INCLUDES: 6 Altura Photo 16mm Dry Sensor Cleaning Swabs + Altura Photo All-Natural 2oz. Cleaner + Hard Carrying Case +...
- SENSOR CLEANING SWABS: Absorbs and sweeps away invisible particles and smudges. Compatible with APS-C sensors.
- ALL-NATURAL CLEANING SOLUTION: Uses the power of nature to clean without leaving streaks or blemishes. Safe for all...
- TRAVEL CASE: Stores and protects all of the essential tools.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Backed with Digital Goja 90-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
Battery Types Are Important
Above all, no matter the situation, run-of-the-mill AA batteries are handy to have lying around. Photography is no exception. Alkaline batteries used to keep tools like speed-lites, syncs, and remotes in working order.
Above all, when working on location, discovering that a piece of equipment needs a recharge will potentially wreck a shoot. So, rechargeable batteries allow photographers to keep working without missing a beat.
Also, they are used to revive a dying camera with the aid of a battery grip. The EBL 8 Bay Smart AA/AAA Battery Charger is a popular option among image makers and everyday people alike, supporting both AA and AAA batteries.
Always Keep Extras On Hand
Also on the subject of batteries, it’s never a bad idea to stock up on extra batteries and chargers designated specifically for your camera. Because many of the major manufacturers use proprietary equipment, you’ll have to look into which battery models in particular will be compatible with your camera before making any purchases.
- Batteries come with storage box, much convenient for your collecting while no use or in travel.
- Batteries keep a high performance that its life span up to 1200 cycle and will maintain 75% capacity after 3 years no...
- Charger can freely charge 2, 4, 6, 8 AA AAA Ni-MH/Ni-CD rechargeable batteries in the same time, refuse low power.
- AC 100-240V 50/60Hz input for worldwide usage,2.8V DC output shorten the time of charging (most similar chargers are...
- Packages: EBL 808 8 bay smart charger, 8 packs AA 2300 Ni-MH rechargeable batteries with 2 battery storage boxes.
One of the most difficult tasks for any photographer to undertake is that of understanding color. Because not all light is created equally, the time of day, and type of environment are important.
So, once you determine the light source being used, there’s a wide gamut of color casts photographers have to work around. In some situations, you’ll have artistic license and a bit of flexibility in terms of color.
However, for any sort of commissioned professional work, you’ll want to be sure that your colors are spot on.
Easy Perfect Color
In particular, the X-Rite Color Checker Passport is a useful tool to have. Also, by simply referencing a photograph of the color grid taken within the environment that you’re photographing, you can easily get the perfect color by sampling a gray patch in post. This immediately eliminates any sort of color casting.
Consequently, the other colors included can be used to instantaneously apply tints. So, even if you’re in a sterile studio or a specific location, this little tool can save you hours worth of editing.
- Ideal for photographers shooting still images in a Raw workflow
- Creates professional, custom camera profiles in minutes using the industry standard 24 patch Classic target.
- Combines 3 photographic color-balance targets into one pocket size protective, multi-positionable patented case that...
- EXCLUSIVE X-RITE TECHNOLOGY! Dual Illuminant profile creation - takes into account two different light sources to create...
- Easy to use with Adobe Lightroom Plug-In or stand alone software for use in other image editing software