Review: Portrait Studio 600W Day Light Umbrella
Continuous Lighting Kit by LimoStudio
In this LimoStudio lights review, we are looking at the highly rated Portrait Studio 600W Day Light Umbrella (LMS103). This lighting kit is ideal for producing professional quality portrait imagery.
If you are planning on shooting portrait imagery for a living you need the right equipment to back up your ambitions. Beyond the camera and the lens, a good lighting kit is also an important part of that right equipment list.
The problem with strobes and flashes is that they can be costly and difficult to work with at the same time. They do produce a lot of power, but on the downside, the price you have to pay to own these lights often puts them beyond the reach of budding photographers.
You need at least two to get started and around three for professional results. Plus you have to set them up and control the exposure for each shot.
This is where cheaper, and definitely a lot less cumbersome to set-up, continuous lights come into the picture. There’s always a toss-up between continuous lights and strobes. Strobes, as has already been explained above, are more powerful. They produce an intense streak of light.
Continuous lights, on the other hand, are less powerful. But the biggest advantage with continuous lights is that you can preview the image exactly the way it would be captured before it is captured on the camera. This is because the lights are always on. With strobes/flashes, the light fires just at the moment the image is made. Thus, you don’t have a way to check the ‘result' until after the image is made.
There are a wide array of cheap continuous lighting kits available out in the market.
Often, they cost less than the price of a single flash head. The Photography Photo Portrait Studio 600W Day Light Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit by LimoStudio LMS103 is one such kit.
It contains not only a set of three continuous lights but also light stands and modifiers that complete the lighting setup. Let’s find out more about the kit.
What’s included in the box?
- A set of two 86” tall studio high output shoot-through umbrella and flash strobe light stand
- One 28” tall studio tabletop light stand
- A set of three light holders for use with fluorescent light bulbs
- 45W Photo CLF 6500K Daylight balanced light bulb
- Umbrella-carrying case
- Bulb carrying case
- Two Umbrellas
Made out of a high-grade nylon the 33” shoot through white photo/video umbrellas are your perfect companion for creating the right mood for all your studio portraitures. Two of these can be set up in an innumerable number of combinations, and together with a third light, that can be set-up as an accent light, is all the light you will ever need for most portrait shooting requirements.
See the full kit description and reviews on Amazon.
To go with the umbrellas, a set of 86” tall studio umbrella flash strobe stands are also provided. The material used is an aluminum alloy. The legs open in a convenient three stages.
As a matter of fact, an additional 28” tall accent light tabletop light stand is also provided. This third light stand completes what can be easily be considered a professional three light set-up.
To go with these light stands and light holders a set of three single head fluorescent light holders are also provided. The complete the set-up 3 45w CFL 6500K daylight balanced digital full spectrum light bulbs are also provided.
Daylight balanced lights are ideal when you want to capture a portrait image the way it would appear if you had been shooting under the sun.
The three spiral-shaped lights together produce the equivalent output of 200w of a regular incandescent light bulb.
The entire set-up costs a meager $52.99to own.
For a three-point lighting set-up, including modifiers, lights, and light stands, you can’t get any cheaper than this.
The entire package weighs about 10.1 pounds, which means they easily fit inside the boot of your car just in case you wish to transport them to a new location.
LimoStudio also throws in a set of carrying cases for the umbrellas and the light bulbs for easy transport.
Certainly, the lights are nowhere near as powerful for more professional photography, but then this kit is not meant for such work.
This is ideally suitable for lighter studio work and meant mainly for amateur photographers and newbie professionals who are looking to add more value to their production.
- Contents: [3 pcs] 45W Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb / [3 pcs] Single Head Bulb Socket / [2 pcs] 33-inch Diameter Umbrella Reflector
- [2 pcs] 86-inch Height Light Stand Tripod / [1 pc] 28-inch Height Light Stand Tripod / [1 pc] Bulb Carry Bag / [1 pc] Photo Equipment Carry Bag
- 45W Photo CFL Bulb: 6000K / 1820 Lumen / E26, E27 Standard Screw Base / Max Energy Saving up to 80% / 7.1 x 2.3-inch Dimension
- 33-inch Diameter White Umbrella Reflector: Made of Enhanced Nylon Material / Works well with Any Flash, Strobe Lights or Continuous Lighting
- (Attention) Bulb, on a rare occasion, creates a mild burning scent, which is a normal reaction as the bulb gets heat / Please do NOT use over 45-wattage bulb with socket
10 Photography Beginner Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
Wanderlust at heart and a shutterbug who loves to document his travels via his lenses; his two passions compliment each other perfectly.
He has been writing for over 7 years now, which unsurprisingly, revolve mostly around his two favorite pursuits.
Latest posts by Rajib (see all)
- Best Inkjet Photo Paper - December 13, 2017
- Best DSLRs for Video Shooting (7 TopPicks in 2018) - December 10, 2017
- 7 Best Cameras for Real Estate Photography in 2018 - December 6, 2017