Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2
The Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 is compatible with Canon/Nikon (Full-Fram/APS-C DSLR Cameras).
When a lens is announced with the promise of 5 stops of image stabilization, photographers would no doubt sit up and take notice of it. The Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 indeed warrants a look in.
This new Tamron lens is an update of the older and popular 70-200mm f/2.8 lens that the company already sells. Information about the lens got leaked out a few weeks ago wherein it was mentioned that the lens has a dramatic five stops of image stabilization and blazing fast auto-focusing capabilities.
- The structure consists of a total of 23 elements arranged in 17 groups. It consists of one XLD (extra low-dispersion) element and five LD (low-dispersion) elements. These suppress chromatic aberrations and color fringing as well as increase color saturation of your images.
- The presence of BBAR and eBAND coatings ensure that flares and ghosting are suppressed too.
- The aperture diaphragm is made up of 9 rounded blades. The maximum possible aperture of the lens is f/2.8. The combination promises good quality bokeh or soft out of focus background effect.
- A rotating tripod collar allows the lens to be set-up on a tripod.
- The barrel of the lens is made out of durable metal. The design is a very ergonomic one with a curved shape which ensures that you can have a good grip when handling.
- Tamron states that the new lens comes with dust and moisture resistance properties. Moisture resistance properties ensure that the lens can be used in most conditions without issues.
- In addition, fluorine coating has been provided at the front end of the lens to prevent it from becoming a dust, dirt or smear magnet like other lenses.
- Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens (A025) for Canon Full-Frame - INCLUDES FULL TAMRON DIRECT 6 YEAR WARRANTY
- Tamron TAP-In Console Lens Accessory for Canon Lens Mount
- Improvements achieved for a more stable optical performance across the entire zoom range
- Improved depictive quality in the wide-angle focal range
- Outstanding resolving power
The highlight of the lens is no doubt its five stops of image stabilization. It means that you can shoot with up to five stops slower shutter speed when hand holding compared to other non-stabilized lenses. Imagine what you can do with this lens when you are shooting hand-held in low light situations. The lens has a total of 3 image stabilization modes.
- The first mode is the general stabilization mode. It will stabilize the image when you look through the viewfinder as well as when you make the exposure. You will find the image is stabilized when looking through the viewfinder and works pretty much the way normal image stabilization is expected to work.
- The second mode is designed to assist movements. E.g., when you are tracking an athlete or a rider or a motorcyclist and so on. It will only stabilize for movements that are perpendicular to the panning movement.
- The third mode engages only when the shutter release is fully pressed down. In this mode image stabilization is engaged only when the image is made. The image through the viewfinder will not be stabilized. This mode is ideal for fast-action shots or when the subject is moving erratically and your hands are trying to keep up. Examples could be a soccer playing trying to dribble past a line of defenders or a group of children running and playing in the field and so on.
Auto-focusing is powered by a ring-type ultrasonic silent drive auto-focusing motor. This ensures that the lens is very quiet when auto-focusing.
Plus, full-time manual focusing override ensures that auto-focusing can be easily adjusted when needed without having to first switch from auto to manual focusing. There is also a focus distance delimiter button. Two choices are available, full and 3 meter to infinity. This saves you crucial moments when you know the approximate distance at which your subject is. You can give your lens’ auto-focusing a head start of sorts with this option. Minimum focusing distance is only 3.1′ away.
The lens has been listed at a price of Out of stock on Amazon. It makes the SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 fit right in the list of some of the better 70-200mm telephoto zoom lenses around.