Though tablets, phablets, and smartphones have been gaining popularity as hand-held image editing devices, nothing comes close to the convenience of editing an image with a proper keyboard and mouse/pen input.
A portable yet powerful laptop thus has no equal when it comes to the ultimate synergy of processing power and mobility. The only problem is the price. The more powerful your laptop is, the more capable it is in handling more massive RAW files and clean video clips. Albeit all of these comes at a higher price tag. In addition to these, you get higher display resolution when you increase the budget.
Best Laptop Displays for Photo, Video, and Graphic Design Work
This discussion, however, is about a specific topic. Not just the processing power, which is always important. But also about the display resolution. A reader had inquired about the best bet regarding screen resolution on a mobile platform.
So, without further ado, here are the top choices for a laptop with pro display.
✔ Best Laptop Displays in 2018
- MSI 15.6 GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K at $1,799.99 (13 Reviews)
- MSI 17.3″ GT73VR Titan 4K at from $2,499.00 (4 Reviews)
- Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro at from $2,176.00 (58 Reviews)
- Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro (2.9 GHz) at $2,159.00
- Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro (3.1 GHz) at $15.95 (2 Reviews)
- Lenovo 17.3″ ThinkPad P71 at $3,704.00 (1 Reviews)
- Microsoft 15″ Surface Book 2 at from $1,195.00 (341 Reviews)
1. MSI 15.6 GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K Notebook
The MSI GS63VR is a 15.6″ display pro notebook with 4K / UHD resolution. This laptop is actually a gaming option. But most gaming laptops are also perfect for photo and video editing works. As editing professionals the only thing that you don’t need is the high refresh rate which helps in a smoother gaming experience. This is something that is never a requirement for photo and video editing.
The MSI 15.6 GS63VR is powered by a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core processor and paired with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics processing unit that has a dedicated 6 Gigs of DDR5 RAM. There are two storage units on the notebook. A 512 GB SSD drive that ensures that your operating system and major editing applications load up in a heartbeat. Additionally, there is a traditional 2 TB HDD which is a good way to back up your memory cards before backing them up on an external hard drive. There is also a higher version which comes with a 1 TB SSD.
The display on the large 15.6″ monitor is a beautiful 3840 x 2160, backed by IPS technology, which allows you to edit your work on a large sharp display. The notebook comes pre-equipped with Windows 10.
Related Post: Best Laptops for Photo Editing
- Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H Six Core Processor (9MB Cache, 2.2GHz-4.1GHz) 45W
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Hard Drive: 500GB Solid State Drive
- Keyboard: Steel Series Per-Key RGB with Anti-Ghost Key (84 Key) | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 | Display: 15.6" Full HD Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 144Hz 7ms 72% NTSC (1920...
- 500GB SSD Upgrade | 3-Year CUK Limited Warranty (View warranty section below for more details.)
2. MSI 17.3″ GT73VR Titan 4K Notebook
The MSI GT73VR comes across as a large laptop. Not the first preference when it comes to portability. But under the hood, the GT73VR is a very powerful notebook. It is optimized for gaming performances though. Thus, it is powered by a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad-core processor and paired with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 graphics processor with 8 GB of GDDR5 memory.
Storage is powered by a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD which ensures that you have the right mix of high-speed storage and extended storage for fast boot and speedy access of editing applications. But the highlight of the GT73VR is the 17.3″ IPS display with a resolution of 3840 x 2160.
A large display with high resolution is perfect for editing images and processing videos. Thanks to its gaming pedigree you have all the processing power you need on the go.
- Display: 17.3" 4K IPS- Level 3840 X 2160 | Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor: Core i7-7820HK (2.9 - 3.9GHz)
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8G GDDR5
- RAM: 16GB (16G*1) DDR4 2400MHz | Hard Drive: 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB (7200RPM)
- Special features: VR READY | 4K Display | SteelSeries Full-Color RGB Keyboard with Anti-Ghost key + Transparent Key...
Related Post: Best Video Editing Laptops
3. Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
One of the cheaper options but one that comes with an all SSD hard drive for faster storage and access to applications.
The Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro is powered by a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-core processor with AMD Radeon Pro GPU with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM. The internal RAM of the MacBook is 16 GB.
The storage on the 15.4″ MacBook is all SSD with a total capacity of 256 GB. It is not huge regarding the standard HDD powered notebooks that we have listed above. You will require an external storage option to back up your photos and videos from time to time. But at least you will have the advantage of faster access to applications and lightning booting speed.
The display on the 15.4″ monitor of the MacBook offers a resolution of 2880 x 1800 (Retina Display). The screen supports P3 color gamut ensuring that you have brighter and more accurate colors when editing your photos and videos.
Reliable colors are necessary for correct white balance adjustment and color grading when editing your videos. This MacBook comes preloaded with macOS Sierra for use straight out of the box.
- 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
- Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
- Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- AMD Radeon Pro 450 GPU (2GB GDDR5)
- Mac OS Sierra
4. Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
If you need slightly more power and better storage, then the mid-2017 model Apple MacBook Pro 15.4″ is what you need.
This device is powered by a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-core processor and is paired with AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics with an internal memory of 4 GB (GDDR5).
Overall internal memory is 16 GB (2133 MHz RAM). This is a 7th Generation Kaby Lake processor. The processor can be overclocked using Turbo Boost up to a maximum of 3.6 GHz.
The total internal storage of the MacBook is 512 GB SSD. Better than the mid-2016 model Apple MacBook 15.4″ that we discussed above. But certainly not enough if you are a serious photographer who shoots mostly in RAW or a videographer. You will need an external hard drive for backing up your data.
The 15.4″ display comes with a resolution of 2880 x 1800 (Retina Display), and this is something that you would love working with.
- Space Gray, MPTT2LL/A, 2.9GHz Quad-Core i7 (Up to 3.9GHz)
- Touch Bar and Touch ID, 15.4 Inch Retina Display (2880 x 1800 Resolution)
- 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage, Larger Force Touch Trackpad
- AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics with 4GB VRAM, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports, 3.5mm Headphone Jack | Stereo Speakers
- Mac OS X Sierra, 10 Hour Battery Life, 3 Year AppleCare+ Included. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three...
5. Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
This Apple MacBook Pro is also a mid-2017 model. However, this one comes with a slightly faster processor and better storage than the previous two 15.4″ MacBooks we have discussed thus far. So, if storage is an issue for you, or you need more processing power then this is the model that you should opt for.
This 15.4″ MacBook Pro comes with a 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-core processor and an AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics card with a built-in 4 GB GGDR5 RAM. The processor can be overclocked to a maximum of 4.1 GHz.
The internal memory of the device is 16 GB (2133 MHz RAM). Internal storage of the MacBook is 1 TB comprised solely of an SSD drive. Thus, this MacBook Pro is suitable for long-term storage of photos and videos and gives you enough storage to back up your photos and videos from several sessions.
Just like the previous two MacBook Pros that we have listed here, this one too comes with a 15.4 display and a resolution of 2880 x 1800 (Retina Display). The device comes preloaded with macOS Sierra.
- 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
- 512GB SSD storage
- Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
Related Post: Best Monitors for Photo Editing (10 Top Picks for 2018)
6. Our Pick: Lenovo 17.3″ ThinkPad P71 Mobile Workstation
The Lenovo 17.3″ is a large mobile workstation notebook. It is powered by a 3.1 GHz Intel Xeon E3-1535M v6 Quad-core processor and is paired with an NVIDIA Quadro P4000M Graphics Card (8 GB GDDR5). The processor can be pushed further via Max Turbo Frequency to a maximum of 4.2 GHz.
The internal memory of the notebook is 16 GB of ECC DDR4 RAM and storage is comprised of a 512 GB PCIe SSD drive.
The large 17.3″ display has a 4K / UHD resolution of 3840 x 2160. A large display coupled with a high resolution is the perfect recipe for editing photos and videos. While editing images, you can see the pictures quite large and when editing videos you can fit in an extensive view of the timeline and the control panel.
Windows 10 comes pre-loaded which means you just need to install your favorite photo/video editing application and you can start working right away.
- Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 (4 Cores, 3.0GHz / 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache) + NVIDIA Quadro P3000 6GB Graphics
- 17.3-Inch UHD (3840x2160) LED backlight Display, Built-in numeric keyboard, spill-resistant, multi-touch touchpad
- 16GB DDR4 SDRAM RAM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, Bluetooth 4.1
- 4TB Solid State Drive (SSD), 2 x Thunderbolt 3, 4 x USB 3.0 Type-A, 1 x Docking Connector, 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1.2, 1 x...
- Windows 10 Professional, Webcam: 720p Video, 8-cell (96 Wh) Up to 14.25 hours Battery. (Professionally Upgraded by...
7. Microsoft 15″ Surface Book 2 Multi-Touch 2-in-1 Notebook
Intel Core i7-8650U Quad-Core CPU powers this 2-in-1 notebook device that doubles as a large 15″ tablet for your convenience. The 8th Gen Kaby Lake R CPU has a base clock speed of 1.9 GHz. However, you can overclock it to a maximum of 4.2 GHz. Along with it an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics card with 6 GB GDDR5 VRAM powers the graphics processing of the notebook.
The display of the 15″ notebook is a decent 3240 x 2160 (PixelSense Display). The detachable design ensures that you can use the device as a proper notebook or as a tablet according to your preference.
The internal memory of the notebook is an 8 GB of GDDR5, and total storage is 512 GB. All of it is SSD which ensures that the Microsoft Surface 15″ is lightning quick when opening editing applications as well as when launching the OS.
The notebook comes pre-equipped with Windows 10. One of the major features of the Microsoft Surface Pro 15″ is that it supports 10-point touch which is integrated into Windows 10. Though this may be too much to utilize fully, you now have more options in your hands (or shall we say fingers?).
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 Features a 8th generation Intel Quad Core i7 Processor, 512 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM, and up to...
- Enhanced Graphics performance with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- The fastest Surface Book yet, with 4x more power
- Vibrant PixelSense Display: now available with a new 15" touchscreen. Weight : Starting at 4.2 pounds including keyboard
- Four versatile modes of use and new USB-C port
On a Tight Budget?
👉 Check out the best budget laptops for photography (under $500).