The best cameras for kids need to rock a small frame and still pack a punch when it comes to quality. Luckily, there are plenty of options that fit the bill. Read on for a comparison of our favorite cameras to give to the kids in your life.
What To Look For In The Best Camera For Kids
Small hands need easy to grip designs. Especially ones which have no hard edges on them.
Plus, it would be great to have some kind of protection against the elements and bad handling.
With kids, you just never know.
And, when it comes to kid’s cameras, they need to be built well while providing all the basic tools for them to start learning the basics of photography with.
RELATED POST: 11 Great Cameras for Instagram Compared
The 10 Best Cameras For Kids
But first things first, let’s take a look at the best-recommended cameras for young hands.
Our top choices for the best camera for kids are:
1. Fujifilm Instax Mini 9
2. Fujifilm Instax Mini 70
3. VTech Kidizoom Duo Selfie Camera
4. Vivitar ViviCam X054 Digital Camera
5. GordVE Kids Waterproof camera
6. ZTour Smallest Kid Digital Camera
7. Fujifilm FinePix XP120
8. Omzer Digital Camera
9. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30
10. Kodak PIXPRO FZ53-BK
A range of bright attractive colors isn’t normally a selling point for cameras. But when it comes to kids cameras it definitely is. And this camera offers colors from Cobalt Blue to Flamingo Pink and Smokey White.
The options are plenty.
The Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 is an instant camera. It runs on 2 AA batteries and takes INSTAX Mini instant film. It spits out credit card-sized prints which you can easily hang on the refrigerator door.
Aside from the colors, the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 is a capable camera. It has a 60mm f/12.7 lens built into it. The lens can focus from 2’ to all the way to infinity.
Aperture on the lens is variable in four steps. Starting from f/12.7 all the way to f/32. You also have the option to use a close-up lens. Possible but not mandatory. That adds the ability to decrease the focusing distance from 2’ to less.
For the kid who loves selfies, there’s a small mirror on the lens that helps them keep things perfectly in the frame. 🤳
To round things up the lens has a tiny flash built into it as well.
- Takes 2 AA Batteries; Picture size 62 x 46 millimeter; Viewfinder Real image finder, 0.37x, with target spot
- New Selfie Mirror,Shutter Shutter speed:1 per 60 sec
- New Macro Lens adapter for close ups 35 centimeter to 50 centimeter
- Automatic exposure measurement; The camera signals the recommended aperture setting with a flashing LED; This helps capture...
- Focusing:0.6 meter
The Instax Mini 70 is an instant film camera just like the Instax Mini 9 we read about above.
The Fujifilm Instax Mini 70 accepts Instax mini instant film. It also produces small credit card-sized prints just like the above camera.
The Instax Mini 70 is also powered by a 60mm f/12.7 lens. The minimum focusing distance is 11.8”. This makes getting focus sharp much easier for new, younger shooters.
On top of that, it has a built-in flash.
- New sleek streamlined design
- Selfie mode with built in selfie mirror
- Improved picture quality, especially in dark scenes
- Tripod Socket. 2 CR2 Batteries
- Focusing: Motor driven 3 range switching (0.3 meter 0.6 meter/0.6 meter 3 meter/3 meter and beyond), Macro Mode (0.3 meter...
The Amazon exclusive Kidizoom camera looks and feels like one designed specifically for toddlers.
It’s designed to survive the odd bumps and knocks you’d expect in the hands of a kid. Speaking of handling the camera, this one comes with dual handles for easy use.
The camera runs on 4 AA batteries, which will add to the weight of the camera. But not so much it would be too heavy for a child to handle.
The camera is actually a dual camera mechanism. The front camera, perfect for landscapes and portraits, shoots 1600 x 1200 pixels. The rear camera, used for selfies, shoots 640 x 480 pixels.
The camera comes with 256 MB of built-in memory. Of course, you can insert an SDHC card and extend the storage capacity of the camera.
RELATED POST: Best SD Cards For Your Canon 6D and Nikon D3300
- The Kidizoom duo is a real digital camera that's great for kids and durable enough to handle drops and tumbles
- Features a 2. 4" Color LCD screen and can take photos and videos in addition to a rear-facing camera that's perfect for...
- Get creative using laugh-out-loud photo effects in addition to cartoon and collage effects
- Comes with five games, including three that are motion-controlled, for even more fun. Download photos and videos to a...
- Camera is not rechargeable, It operates with 4 AA batteries included for demo purposes, Use new batteries for regular use....
Inside this shiny Vivitar Vivicam X054 is a 10.1-megapixel image sensor. That’s enough to produce JPEGs at 3540 x 2832 pixels.
The internal memory of the camera is capable of storing about 100 images. You can also record videos using the camera. The camera runs on 3 AAA batteries.
- 10.1MP Image Sensor
- 1.5" LCD Monitor
- Video Recording
- Internal Memory for Over 100 Photos
- Runs on 3x AAA Batteries
This small GordVE waterproof camera is powered by an 18 megapixel CMOS sensor. This a serious camera that makes surprisingly great images.
Even in the hands of a toddler.
Additionally, this camera comes with 8x of digital zoom. So, your child can zoom in to get a close-up view of something.
At the back of the camera is a 2.7” LCD screen, which makes composition and framing easy for little ones.
And just in case you are wondering, the GordVE can also shoot video.
This is the perfect sort of camera for any watersport, snorkeling, diving, scuba, and other water activities. No wonder it makes it to our list of the best camera for kids.
And if you’re worried about your kid losing the camera in water, there is a lanyard hole. The camera is secured by fastening it around the wrist.
- 【Underwater camera for kids】18 Mega pixels cmos sensor, support image capture and video shooting. The image format is...
- 【Kids camera waterproof】the kids camera underwater design, kids can take brilliant pictures and record the underwater...
- 【Kids video camera recorder】cute Tiger shape cartoon design and compact small size 118*68*27mm, only weight 116G, lithe...
- 【Kids camera with flash light】internal microphone and speaker (record sound videos), it support hot shoe interface so you...
- 【Child's digital camera with microphone】built-in microphone, micro SD slot, support max 32G SD card( not included ), can...
The ZTour Smallest Kid Camera is a really (I mean really, really) cute camera.
And it makes great images too. This is an extremely lightweight unit weighing only 2 ounces!
You can plug in a TF card to add additional storage. It supports cards between 8 GB and 32 GB.
The unit comes with a built-in battery. So, it should run for a reasonable amount of time while your kid indulges in a bit of photography. And there’s a 1.5” LCD screen at the back of the camera.
The camera has a simple software preloaded. Among the many things it does is give the option to choose among 9 photo frames.
- 【 Lightweight and Comfortable for Kids 】 Product dimension: 2.83 x 0.94 x 1.96 in. Product weight: 59 grams. It is...
- 【 Compact and Powerful 】With a high-definition lens, the viewing angle is 72 degrees. It is twice the viewing angle of a...
- 【 Fun for Kids 】With a 1.5-inch LCD screen, the colors are bright to restore the color of the photos and images. With 9...
- 【 Protect your kids 】The entire camera is designed with rounded corners.It has rounded corners and a non-slip handle. It...
- 【 Customer Service 】 If you have any question about the Camera, Plese write E-mail to us. E-mail address:...
If you have a teenager at home, someone who may not appreciate the GordVE that their kid sister gets, this is a great option.
The Fujifilm FinePix XP120 is a serious camera. It comes with a 16.4 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor known for advanced low light capabilities.
Additionally, the 5x optical zoom-equipped Fujinon lens is a fine unit. The effective focal length is 24-140mm.
But the best thing about the camera is that it’s waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof. and dustproof. All safeguards from the accidental drop and the intentional exposure to the elements.
It is pretty much an all-weather camera.
Another thing we liked is how sleek the design is. It’s designed for someone who has a bit of knowledge of electronics and is proficient with making images. Your adolescent child should both feel no embarrassment wielding it and should have loads of fun making images with it.
The FinePix XP120 is capable of shooting high-quality videos as well. You can shoot full HD videos at a maximum frame rate of 60 fps. And to review what has been shot, there’s a 3” 920k-dot LCD screen at the back of the camera.
The Fujifilm FinePix XP120 is our top choice as the best camera for kids.
RELATED POST: Photography Lessons For Kids
- 16.4MP BSI CMOS Sensor Fujinon 5x Optical Zoom Lens
- 28-140mm (35mm Equivalent) Water, Shock, Freeze, and Dustproof
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps 3.0" 920k-Dot LCD Monitor
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity 10 fps Continuous Shooting
- Cinemagraph Mode and Interval Shooting
The Omzer is a cute little camera. Soft and without any hard edges that could hurt your little one. The body, the buttons, and the lens are painted in bright colors. But under all that cuteness, the Omzer boasts specs which are going to raise a few eyebrows.
For starters, this camera comes with full HD video capability. The back of the camera is dominated with a 2” LCD screen. This particular color combination comes with a 16 GB memory card.
The battery unit inside the camera is a rechargeable 3.7V lithium unit.
The lens comes with 4x digital zoom. The resolution of the sensor is 8 megapixels. That should be more than enough for some decent images.
- 【8.0 Mega pixels and 1080p HD video】The kids digital camera has dual cameras, selfie is available, the front and rear are...
- 【Multiple functions, More fun for children】Upgrade new kids cameras and camcorders comes with more functions, based on...
- 【Safe Silicone and shockproof material】Use the eco-friendly Soft Silicone non-toxic material, Protective shockproof...
- 【Built-in battery, rechargeable kids camera】Built-in 3.7V rechargeable lithium battery, when children take kids camera,...
- 【Compact size and delicate gift for kids】Only Weight 95g, and compact small size 93*42*61mm, makes the camera Is...
The built-in lens comes with a 4x optical zoom which translates to a 25-100mm focal length range. There is also a 4x maximum digital zoom.
This is a proper digital camera and that fact is driven home due to the presence of optical image stabilization. Optical image stabilization on the camera is 5-axis.
But the highlight of the camera is undoubtedly its weather sealing.
There are a number of aspects that could go wrong when shooting outdoors with a camera. And they usually do (Murphy’s Law). To have weather sealing is invaluable.
- Quad-proof tough camera – made for active lifestyles, this rugged camera is waterproof (to 8M/26ft. ), shockproof (to 1....
- Mega O. I. S. Camera lens - automatically compensates for blurring caused by hand-shake movement. Detected instantly by a...
- Beautiful Underwater shots - The Red color Reproduction of advanced underwater mode easily compensates for the red tones...
- MP4 HD video recording - recording dynamic MP4 HD video in 1280 x 720P** starts with the simple push of an independent motion...
- 220MB built-in memory - when the camera's SD card is full, built-in memory automatically provides 220MB of additional...
We round this list of the best camera for kids with the Kodak PIXPRO FZ53-BK. BK stands for Black. The camera comes in a few other colors as well. Including a metallic red color.
This is a proper digital camera and is powered by a 16 megapixel 1/2.3” CCD sensor. The built-in lens comes with 5x optical zoom capacity. That translates into a 35mm format equivalent zoom range of 28-140mm.
Apart from great quality stills, your child is able to make image-stabilized videos from her perspective.
Yes, the camera does have digital image stabilization. That helps produce blur-free stills and videos.
At the back of the camera is a 2.7” 230k-dot LCD monitor. Great for composing shots. But even better for reviewing what has already been shot. The Kodak PIXPRO FZ53 is one of the best cameras for kids and young photographers.
RELATED POST: Kids Photography Tips for Lasting Memories
- 5x optical zoom
- 28mm wide angle
- 16 megapixels
- 2.7" Lcd screen
- 720P HD video
What’s The Best Camera For Kids?
Well, that depends on a few factors. The best starting point would be to choose a selection of cameras that are appropriate for your child’s age. As you’ve noticed going through our list of best cameras for kids, not all of them are going to be suitable for all ages.
Also, consider the price and quality of images. How serious is your child about photography? If they are showing signs of strong interest, maybe opt for a nicer camera they can really hone their skills with! You have plenty to choose from!
And, let us know which camera the kids in your life shoot with down in the comments below. We’d love to see some of their work too!
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Certain content that appears on PhotoWorkout.com comes from Amazon. This content is provided ‘as is’ and is subject to change or removal at any time.