Panasonic Introduces the GH5
The Panasonic LUMIX GH5 is a much-loved camera, especially because of its video shooting features. Some quick facts about the new LUMIX GH5:
- The GH5 mirrorless camera comes with native 4K and 30p video recording capabilities.
- Promises to level up the stakes with its new improved 20.3 megapixels digital live MOS sensor.
- It is capable of shooting 4K videos at up to 60 fps.
- Specifically designed for videography and retails for under $2K –$1,997.99 to be precise.
The Panasonic GH5 incorporates a host of new features to up the game.
The sensor now boasts a five-axis sensor shift-type image stabilization mechanism and it has the latest DFD auto-focusing mechanism which gives it faster auto-focusing speed.
The camera has other features as well which should bring a smile on the face of active video shooters. Let’s dive in to find out more.
The LUMIX GH5 Sensor
- Inside the Panasonic GH5 is a newly developed 20 megapixel Live MOS sensor.
- It is capable of producing large fine JPEGs and RAW frames of size 5184 x 3888 pixels.
- The sensor does not have an optical low-pass filter (so you can expect a higher resolution imagery compared to sensors which do have an OLPF).
- It has a newly developed Venus Engine Processor, intended at increasing the image processing efficiency of the camera to facilitate recording of 60 fps 4K videos.
- The Panasonic GH5’s auto-focusing mechanism breaks down the whole scene into 225 AF areas (for precise control over where the camera will focus).
- New Advanced DFD auto-focus system.
- Capable of locking focus in just 0.05 seconds.
Depth From Defocus (DFD) Mechanism
- DFD stands for Depth-From-Defocus and is a mechanism that leads to faster locking of subject to camera distance.
- Thanks to the new auto-focusing technology, the Panasonic GH5 is capable of shooting up to 9 frames per second with continuous auto-focusing.
- The GH5 also has the much-vaunted focus peaking function which works like a charm when you are focusing manually.
- High contrast edges are highlighted with a colored outline to mark that focus has been acquired, which is very convenient when you cannot rely on your own eyes while manually focusing.
- Apart from that the camera also has Touch MF Assist Function as well as touch-to-focus options.
The older GH4 did not have built-in image stabilization. The new Panasonic GH5 does have image stabilization.
- Image stabilization is the 5-way and sensor-shift type, making all compatible lenses automatically image-stabilized.
- The mechanism works with some lenses which then trigger Dual I.S.2.
- Overall, image stabilization gives up to 5 stops of shake compensation.
- Thanks to the new Venus Engine processor the Panasonic GH5 is capable of shooting stills at a much-enhanced speed of up to 12 fps at full 20.3-megapixel resolution.
- At a reduced resolution of 8 megapixels, the camera is capable of shooting stills at 60 fps.
- Awesome Focus Stacking Capabilities
See some sample images of the Panasonic GH5 by photojournalist Daniel Berehulak here.
The older GH4 was the first mirrorless camera capable of recording 4K videos at 30 fps. The new GH5 is capable of recording 4K videos at 60 fps, thanks to the newly developed Venus Engine processor.
- When recording at full HD (1080p), the GH5 is capable of recording at a phenomenal 180 fps.
- At a slower frame rate of 24/30 fps, the Panasonic GH5 is capable of recording 4:2:2 10-bit files, which is more suitable for shooting movies.
Both the GH4 and the GH5 are designed catering to the needs of the videographer, more than the still photographer. The built-in 4K capability and the improved auto-focusing is a testimony to that.
No Time Limit
- Unlike other DSLRs and DSLR-styled interchangeable lens cameras, the GH5 does not have a time limit for each movie file.
- Plus, you get to choose between an array of video formats: MOV, MP4, AVCHD as well as Progressive AVCHD.
The Panasonic GH5 is a versatile expandable tool. It comes with the option to upgrade to V-Log L update.
You can also use the XLR Microphone Adapter that gives XLR inputs plus physical controls via the hot shoe connection.
- Option to plug in a standard microphone.
- Supports headphone twin 3.5mm jacks for input and output.
An interesting feature of the camera is the Burst (S/S) mode. This one helps you save a frame at 8 or 18-megapixel resolution out of the video you captured.
Burst Mode for Still Images
The GH5 is ideal for shooting videos, but that does not mean that it is a mug for still shooting. There is a host of features for shooting stills as well:
- The innovative pre-burst mode helps to capture the ‘decisive moment’.
- The pre-burst mode works by capturing images one second before and one second after pressing the shutter button.
- Captures up to 60 frames to help you choose the shot you need.
The GH5 sports built-in 5 GHz Wi-Fi Connectivity. It also has built-in NFC and Bluetooth 4.2 for better and faster image transfer to compatible devices.
GH4 featured a rugged all-weather design.
- The camera is chiseled out of magnesium alloy.
- Has several weather sealings to keep moisture and dirt away.
- The GH5 is also an all-weather construction with proper weather sealing.
Rear LCD Screen
The new camera is an improvement in some ways. The new LCD screen is larger in size, 3.2” compared to 3” on the older GH4 (the internatinal version is retailing at $825.30). Plus, the resolution has been revved up as well: 1620,000 dots compared to 1036,000 dots.
The Panasonic Lumix DC GH 5 is one of the best in business if you are a video enthusiast. It certainly makes good sense to buy the camera from a video perspective.
However, the rest of the still features are in line with the other cameras in the market.
Panasonic LUMIX DC GH 5 – Order Now
- Professional photo and 4K video performance in a durable magnesium alloy body.
- 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds sensor with no low pass filter.
- 4K video: internal recording at 4k60/50P (4:2:0 8bit) & 4k30/25P/24P (4:2:2 10bit).
- Variable video frame rates 4K: max. 60Fps & FHD: max. 180Fps.Full size Type A HDMI terminal with cable lock included &...
- 5-Axis photo/video Dual I.S.. 2.0 up to 5 Stops with compatible LUMIX MFT lenses, plus In-body stabilization Support for...