Gift Ideas for the Photographer in the Family
Consider this as a suggestion for gifts to the photographer in the family or friend circle.
… Or you could even consider this as a bucket list for your yourself 😉
1. Apple 9.7″ iPad (2017 Wi-Fi 128 GB)
For many, the Apple iPad is the ultimate flexibility when it comes to editing your photos on the go.
- The Apple 9.7″ iPad (2017) is designed around the A9 chip,
- has a 64-bit SoC architecture, and
- is paired with the M9 co-processor.
- The resolution on the 9.7″ multi-touch retina display is 2048 x 1539
- and has a pixel density of 264 ppi.
- The internal memory of 128 GB and it is powered by iOS 10.
The tablet comes with built-in Wi-Fi. That means if your camera comes with wireless you can seamlessly transfer all your images to your iPad as you shoot them over the course of the session and have them all ready to be edited or shard when you are done.
- 9.7-inch Retina display, wide color and true tone
- A9 third-generation chip with 64-bit architecture
- M9 motion coprocessor
- 1.2MP FaceTime HD camera
- 8MP iSight camera
2. Canon EOS 80D Video Creator Kit
What does a video creator need? A great camera, capable of focusing accurately in live-view, a lens with great optical quality, and a good quality external mic that can record crisp sound.
The Canon EOS 80D video creator kit has all of this. The EOS 80D is an upper entry-level crop sensor powered DSLR with a resolution of 24.2 megapixels.
- The most important USP of this camera is the dual pixel CMOS auto-focusing technology.
- The 80D can shoot full HD videos at a frame rate of 60 fps.
- Plus, it comes with the 18-135mm lens having a power zoom adapter that makes zooming a lot easier and a lot more precise.
- Moreover, the lens has two zoom speed options and a lock switch that ensures that the lens can be locked in its current zoom position.
- Finally, the RODE VideoMic Go and a 32 GB SDHC memory card completing the package.
A true bundle of joy for the videographer in the family!
- 45-point all cross-type AF system allows for superb autofocus when shooting with the optical viewfinder and focusing area selection modes.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage.
- 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor helps provide impressive, high-resolution results.
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you shoot video with smooth, fast and accurate autofocus, and stills with instant and precise autofocus.
3. Flashpoint CL-1300 LED Panel Light
For the ardent video shooter, a continuous light is an essential tool.
But why limit yourself to shooting videos only?
Continuous lights are great for shooting stills as well!
The most significant advantage is you know what the exposure is going to be like even before the shot.
There is no guesswork as to how the shadows will appear or how the light will fall off. You can set up your camera knowing full well how the image will come through.
- The Flashpoint CL-1300 is a daylight balanced LED panel light, meaning that the light mimics the color balance of daylight.
- The system is designed to work with a series of 4 multi-unit arrays and comes with interlocking ports.
- Further, the system is compatible with the DMX remote system. This remote allows you to tweak the intensity of the light individually or for several lights globally arranged in an array.
- Flashpoint CL-1300 Daylight LED Panel (4) - Brackets to Connect 4 Panels - Stand Mounting Yoke - Power Supply - Light Panel Diffuser - 2 Color Filters - Carrying Case - Flashpoint 1 Year USA Warranty
- Adorama Valuable Bundle. Kit Includes.
- Flashpoint CL-1300 LED Panel Light, Stand Mounting Yoke, Power Supply, Power Cord, Light Panel Diffuser, Color Filter, Carrying Case, Flashpoint 1 Year USA Warranty.
- Flashpoint Joint Bracket to Connect 4 CL-1300/B.
4. Pelican 1200 Case With Foam (Black)
If there is a photographer in the family s/he would love this case. The Pelican 1200 is a watertight carrying case for DSLRs. The inside of the case is the Pick N' Pluck foam so you can customize the interior to your needs.
The unique feature of the case is its watertight design. These cases come with what is known as Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve. This technology releases the built-up air pressure inside the bag and keeps the water from seeping in.
- Pelican cases are kept watertight through the use of a tongue and groove fit and a polymer o-ring.
- Pelican cases come standard with an Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve which releases built up air pressure while keeping water out.
- Pelican's Pick N'Pluck foam lets you customize the interior. Stainless steel hardware
- Interior Dimensions (inches): 9.25 x 7.12 x 4.12
- Pelican cases are kept watertight through the use of a tongue and groove fit and a polymer o-ring.
5. PrimaPhoto Big Travel Kit Tripod
A small, compact designed, and lightweight travel tripod is a must-have for every photographer!
Regardless of the kind of photography that you do and regardless of the camera and lens combination that shares the bulk of the workload, a tripod is a must-have.
- The PrimaPhoto Big travel kit tripod is a complete solution.
- The maximum weight carrying capacity of the tripod is 8 kilos.
- The aluminum made tripod kit itself weighs about 1.65 kilos.
- It comes with a tripod ball head. The ball head allows panning to be independently locked.
- The central column and the f-section legs take the maximum height of the tripod to 55.1″.
- When not in use the tripod can be collapsed down to a manageable height of 16.5″.
- Fractioned ball head with independent pan lock
- Leg to monopod
- Telescopic center column
- Leg angle selectors
- Twist leg locks
6. Soloshot + Optic65 Camera Bundle
Soloshot is the ultimate when it comes to shooting great action videos without the need for an assistant.
The Soloshot + Optic65 camera bundle is all that you need.
Wear the radio transmitter on your arm or leg while engaging in your favorite activity and Soloshot will continue to track you and keep you in the frame and record all your movement.
The optic65 camera is the right choice in case you are interested in shooting 4K (or at least 2.7K).
There is another camera that is currently bundled with the Soloshot, the Optic25. But this one shoots full HD only. Plus, with the Optic65 you get a longer zoom (65x). With this camera, you would be able to record action up to a maximum distance of 600′. You also get the advantage of a higher frame rate.
7. WD My Passport 4 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive
You can never have enough of backup options for your photos. One or even two levels of redundancy is always advisable.
Backup drives have become so cheap these days that not having redundancy is inexcusable.
- The WD 4 TB My Passport is a massive storage option for beginners and amateurs alike.
- This external drive has a USB 3.0 interface and is back compatible with USB 2.0.
- The drive comes with both data protection and hardware encryption utilities which ensures that your data is safe when stored.
The storage drive is pre-formatted for Windows which means you can start using it right away. You can reformat the drive and start using it on your Mac system just as easily.
- Designed for Mac and Time Machine ready
- Password protection with hardware encryption
- Reimagined design
- Trusted drive built with WD reliability
- USB 3.0 port; USB 2.0 compatible
8. Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic
The Lensbaby Composer Pro is a fixed focus, selective focus control lens designed for the DSLR system. These lenses are designed with a sweet spot of focus on the optical glass and then an entirely uncorrected remaining surface. The flexible lens barrel allows the lens' sweet spot to be moved around (and changed by changing the aperture).
The aperture on the lens is controlled by a 12-blade diaphragm. The maximum aperture possible on the lens is f/2.5, and it can be stopped down all the way to f/22. There is an aperture control ring on the lens which allows you to change the aperture and therefore change the size of the sweet spot.
The Lensbaby makes for an interesting gifting option which would be adored by a photographer using either:
- Fuji X or
- Canon mounts.
- 35mm f/2.5 selective focus optic
- Sweet spot of focus surrounded by blur
- Tilt the lens to move your sweet spot around your frame
- Composer Pro II lens body features an upgraded metal body for precise tilt and focus control
- Perfect for environmental portraits, landscape and macro photography
9. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is their most popular lens. One of the cheapest prime lenses that you could lay your hands on and yet there is no compromise on the image quality.
You could shoot with this lens for hours on end and never stop being amazed by its great image quality.
This lens is optimized for the full-frame Canon DSLR systems.
However, it will also work on all APS-C cameras. Canon's APS-C sensors have a crop factor of 1.6x. Which means the effective focal length becomes the equivalent of an 80mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera.
The bright f/1.8 aperture will handle most lighting situations allowing you to shoot hand-held without even having to raise the ISO. Even at this ‘low' price point, the EF 50m f/1.8 comes with a metal mount, full-time manual focusing override and the highly appreciated STM focusing motor. This lens, thus, will g nicely with Canon's dual pixel CMOS auto-focusing technology.
- 50mm focal length and maximum aperture of f/1.8
- Great for portraits, action, and nighttime photography
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
- Stepping motor (STM) delivers near silent, continous Move Servo AF for movies and smooth AF for stills
- 80mm effective focal-length on APS-C cameras, 50mm on full-frame cameras.Lens Construction:6 elements in 5 groups
10. Nikon 200 – 500mm f/5.6E ED AF-S VR Zoom Lens
Recently I was in an animated discussion with another photographer about the best entry level telephoto lens. I am a Nikon user and was naturally leaning towards the Nikon 200 – 500mm f/5.6 E ED AF-S VR. This is a great buy and at the price point it is offered it gives a phenomenal optical zoom range for all Nikon DSLRs.
On a crop sensor camera like the D5500 or the D7500, this lens will multiply the effective focal length to a mind-boggling 300 – 750mm.
The best things about this lens are the fixed maximum aperture of f/5.6 and the Vibration Reduction. That means it should be able to handle low light situations easily. Plus, you would be able to handle hand-held shooting without problems. As a matter of fact, for the extended focal length and all the glass that it contains, the lens is light.
Ideally, though, you should be using a monopod if you plan on shooting for an extended period.
To be brutally honest, f/5.6 isn’t lightning quick. But it is neither super slow. With a slightly higher ISO, you would be able to handle most lighting situations without issues.
- Compact super telephoto zoom lens for birding, wildlife, motorsports, events and more
- 500mm of zoom power on FX-format DSLRs; 750mm equivalent on DX-format DSLRS, Minimum Focus Distance: 7.2 ft.( 2.2 m), Focal Length Range:200 -500 mm
- Fast f/5.6 constant aperture for beautiful out-of-focus backgrounds and low-light performance
- 4.5 stops of Vibration Reduction with Sports mode
- AF compatible with optional TC-14E series teleconverters and DSLRs that offer f/8 support
11. Think Tank Photo Airport Advantage Roller Sized Carry-On
As a photographer, you are bound to be possessive about your equipment. The last thing you would want is to see your checked-in baggage containing your expensive photography equipment being tossed around like a bag of corn by the airport baggage handlers.
If you are traveling with photography equipment that bag has to go in the cabin. What you need is a good bag which you can use to arrange all your stuff properly. You need something like the Think Tank Airport Advantage Roller.
The bag has numerous padded easy fastening dividers which you can rearrange as per the gear you need to pack.
There are ABEC Grade 5 ball bearing wheels and a retractable trolley handle for easy transportation at the airport and hotel lounges.
Grab handles have been provided on three sides so that you can grab the bag with minimum fuss and get going.
The bag comes with tripod straps and rain cover.
- Fits 2 gripped DSLRs, 70-200mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8 unmounted, 1-2 additional lenses and/or two flashes. Example: Nikon D3S with 70-200mm f/2.8 mounted, D810 with 24-70mm f/2.8 mounted, 50mm f/1.4, 105mm macro VR f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, and 15" MacBook Pro. Example: Canon 5DMIII with 16-35mm f/2.8 mounted, 5DMII with 50mm f/1.2 mounted, 70-200mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, two 640EX-RT, iPad and 15" MacBook Pro
- Dual access, front and top openings for rapid access to gear
- Dedicated pockets provide easy access to up to a 10" tablet and most 15.4" laptops
- Shoulder strap included with telescoping handle pass-through for piggy-backing on other rolling luggage
- Exterior Dimensions: 16" W x 15.5" H x 10" D (40.6 × 39.4 × 25.4cm), Internal Dimensions: 15" W x 13" H x 6.8" D (38.1 × 33 × 17.3cm), Laptop Pocket 14.8" W x 11" H x 1.5" D (37.6 × 28 × 3.8cm), Weight: 8.1-9.2 lbs (3.7-4.2 kg) Depending on accessories used
12. X-Rite ColorMunki Photographer Kit
You can never go wrong with the X-Rite ColorMunki photographer kit. This handy piece of gizmo will continue to keep your computer and laptop monitor color-calibrated for years to come. It is imperative that you monitor is calibrated properly so that the colors you see on the screen are true.
Even if you calibrated the screen before, it tends to lose the calibration over time and use.
But why end at just calibrating your computer screen? This kit comes with the ColorChecker Passport photo tool as well.
The ColorChecker Passport is the ultimate tool for dialing in the right white balance at the time of the shooting, especially, when shooting in changing lighting conditions. To complete the package, this also contains the calibration software.
- Kit includes ColorMunki Display and Color Checker Passport
- Complete shoot-to-edit color control
- Camera calibration for Raw shooters enables greater capability to calibrate and correct color
- Refined optical design allows for high repeatability on the same display and across different display types for more consistent color matching
- Mobile Friendly - Compatible with X-Rite Color TRUE mobile app for calibrating Apple iOS and Android mobile devices
13. Lee Filters Foundation Kit / Filter Holder Bundle with Big & Little Stoppers
ND filters open up creative opportunities that no other systems give you. Lee's ND filter system is one of the best in the business. These large 100mm square filters will work with most glasses you have.
Provided, you have the right adapter ring for the lens you intend on using with these. This particular bundle – the Lee Filters Foundation Kit comes with a 77mm adapter ring.
The ring screws on to the front of the lens and the filter holder then attaches to the front of the lens via the mounting clips.
The adapter ring and the holder are designed primarily to work with 100mm filters, but you can also use other sizes.
You can accommodate up to 3 filters with this system. The box contains the 77mm adapter ring, a little stopper ND filter, a 3.0 (10-stop) Big stopper ND filter and filter holder.
- Lee Filters FK 4x4 Foundation Kit
- Lee Filters 77mm Wide Angle Adapter Ring
- Holds 4x4 and 4x6 filters
- Perfect for the Lee Filters Big Stopper
14. Canon SELPHY CP1300
A compact wireless photo printer is a great addition to your home and small photography business.
If you had the means to hand out small prints to your prospective clients at an event would you not do it? Especially, if that small action can get you a future booking?
The Canon SELPHY CP1300 is a compact wireless printer that prints 4 x 6″ color prints using the Dye-sublimation technology. The prints will last for more than 100 years and are smudge free almost instantaneously. You can hand them over almost as soon as they are printed.
The prints are water resistant as well. Perfect for promotional printouts. Even if you are not a professional and only want to make the occasional print at home, or don't like the 24-hour turnaround or the trip to the nearest lab, the Canon SELPHY CP1300 makes sense.
The largest paper size is 4 x 6,” but you can also use 2.1 x 2.1″ square size as well as sticker papers to print homemade stickers for a wide variety of projects.
- Includes: Canon SELPHY CP1200 Wireless Compact Photo Printer, Canon Color Ink and Paper Set, USB Printer Cable, and FiberTique Cleaning Cloth.
- Efficiently print high quality: With Canon's dye sublimation printing process the CP1200 produces outstanding 4x6" in less than a minute at a crystal clear 300x300 dpi resolution.
- Wireless and Mobile Printing: The CP1200 features wi-fi connectivity for printing from a computer or mobile device, plus prints directly with Apple's AirPrint, PicBridge, Canon PRINT, and Canon's Selphy app.
- Be Creative: Customizing your images is fun and simple with the CP1200's selection of borders, effects, and dimensions. With easy editing tools, such as portrait optimization, red eye correction, and the smooth skin feature, enhancing and editing your photos is a pleasure.
- Canon Color Ink and Paper Set: This special kit is compatible with the CP1200 and prints up to 108x 4x6" color photos. Printing your photos is simple with the pre-cut paper stock.
10 Photography Beginner Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
Wanderlust at heart and a shutterbug who loves to document his travels via his lenses; his two passions compliment each other perfectly.
He has been writing for over 7 years now, which unsurprisingly, revolve mostly around his two favorite pursuits.
Latest posts by Rajib (see all)
- Leica Releases Two New Lenses – 75mm and 90mm f/2 ASPH - January 17, 2018
- Yongnuo YN 14mm f/2.8 Lens - January 15, 2018
- How to Make Great Videos (with DSLRs or Mirrorless Cameras) - January 13, 2018